Menu

Iron-on transfer help

EmseB

The hive knows everything, so:

I purchased an embroidery sampler to try to learn to embroider, because I have so much free time to pick up a new hobby (ha!). I'm very happy with the kit, except.

I followed their instructions to a T to iron a transfer onto the linen so I could then stitch over it.  The transfer came out beautifully...on my ironing board!  Some of it looks great on the linen, and some of it bled right through onto my ironing board cover!  I don't really care about the cover, but I can't do the stitching without the transfer actually on the linen.  I'm going to write the company and see if they will help me out by sending me a new transfer, but I want to know how to prevent this in the future.  I didn't even know a transfer could go through fabric, and I'm pretty baffled.  DH thought it was a very interesting phenomenon at least.

My mom and relatives love iron ons to decorate our plain schoolbags.  My mom would bring us shopping for iron ons as back to school shopping.  Did you use a normal iron or a steam iron? A few articles I found say do not use an ironing board.

"A. Do not use an ironing board and do not use steam! Use a table or counter top with a hard surface." http://www.eaa430.org/docs/Instructions%20for%20the%20iron.pdf

My mom and relatives love iron ons to decorate our plain schoolbags.  My mom would bring us shopping for iron ons as back to school shopping.  Did you use a normal iron or a steam iron? A few articles I found say do not use an ironing board.

"A. Do not use an ironing board and do not use steam! Use a table or counter top with a hard surface." http://www.eaa430.org/docs/Instructions%20for%20the%20iron.pdf

No steam, I knew that part.  I would not have guessed not using my ironing board, though!

Yeah, the iron-ons I've done say not to use an ironing board, I think because of the vent holes most ironing boards have make the heating uneven.  I usually fold up a towel and put it on top of my kitchen counter, then put a cookie sheet on top of that.  

I don't really know what that would have to do with the transfer going right through the fabric, though.  Was it a very loose weave linen?  so there weren't enough threads for it to transfer onto?  (I hope that makes sense because I can't think how better to say what I'm picturing in my head.)