Menu

Want to combine 6th and 4th graders for grammar - suggestions?

I want to combine my 6th and 4th graders for grammar this year. They've been doing Zaner-Bloser GUM workbooks at their own grade levels but grammar just isn't getting done without direct instruction from me. And if I'm directly instructing them, it would be easier to combine them.

We've done CLE LA up until this year, so they both have a good grasp of the basics. I'm not wanting a great deal of rigor this year as we're focusing on writing, so a lighter program is fine.

What program could we do together, hopefully mostly orally? 

I want to combine my 6th and 4th graders for grammar this year. They've been doing Zaner-Bloser GUM workbooks at their own grade levels but grammar just isn't getting done without direct instruction from me. And if I'm directly instructing them, it would be easier to combine them.

We've done CLE LA up until this year, so they both have a good grasp of the basics. I'm not wanting a great deal of rigor this year as we're focusing on writing, so a lighter program is fine.

What program could we do together, hopefully mostly orally? 

Easy Grammar Plus for both.

• Like 1

Easiest one you could probably do is Fix-It Grammar.  15 minutes a day, 4 days a week.  There are 6 books in the program and they are not lumped by grade level but understanding and functionality in the material.  EASY to combine with multiple students.  Your kids might test into the second book.  Not sure.  Give the placement test.   It starts out really, really gently so if you started with the first book you could probably combine lessons, doing two a day, and still get it all done in less than :20 until you hit areas they needed to slow down.  Get the new version.  Old version was not a complete program.  It will take about 30 minutes or so initially to print out and set up the notebooks for the kids.  After that it literally takes almost no time to prep for each lesson.  Buy only the TM and that gives you access to the student pages for free.  Print out the pages as you need to (having the electronic copy also makes it easier to print two copies, one for each student, and not have to buy two student books, plus print extra copies if one gets messed up or you want the student to redo their work for some reason).

http://iew.com/fix

• Like 1

I've used and enjoyed both MCT's Grammar Island and IEW's Fix-It.  MCT is a lot of snuggling on the couch and reading and discussing together; you could do the sentence labeling as an assignment or together.  With this program, you have to be comfortable determining your own pace/schedule.  Fix-It requires a brief introduction once a week and then has kids practice grammar and editing through a sentence of labeling/copywork each day (four days a week).  The kids enjoy it because the sentences tell a story. 

I actually like both programs a lot, though the feel and application is totally different.  Right now I'm enjoying the independence of Fix-It, since I'm busy trying to get my little guy worked into our rotation, but I plan to do a round of MCT again when we're done.  Fix-It is fast and easy and not too challenging, but if you're looking for completely do-together-orally, then MCT is probably more what you're looking for--though much of what I loved there came from all the components working together, and I'm not sure you'd need all of it if you're looking for light.

Well, that was clear as mud.  Hope something in there was somehow helpful.

• Like 1