Menu

CC-Scripture about prayer that says some is good, more is better

HS Mom in NC

I've recently seen a situation where a believer posted on FB about a family conflict.  Oldest young adult son (18) doesn't like mom and dad's rules, son moves out so he can do what he wants. This person claims it's OK to post about it publicly including about the conflict, not just the moving out part, because now more people (her FB friends) are praying about it. 

Here's my question: Is there scripture that backs up the idea that more people praying about it is categorically better or more effective?  Does it explicitly say this?  Is it inferred? Are there specific examples of this in the Bible?  Please give specific references so I can look at them directly. 

I can't answer you about the prayer question, although I do consider prayer to be valuable.  I would consider it a violation of an adult's (the 18 year old's) privacy and inappropriate.  Facebook is a public venue. In fact, I'm sure the 18 year old is seeing it and that is not helping her cause.

• Like 4

I think as a biblical principle we see this well established in the early churches. There are admonitions across the epistles to pray for one another, thanks for the effectiveness of the prayers, and prayer requests for the saints being sent out for spiritual, bodily, and emotional needs. More is better in terms of fervent prayer and love of one another in that way, but I don't think that necessarily means being really detailed in the prayer requests because that can get gossipy, know what I mean? I think having an army of people praying strengthens the body AND the one in need of prayer and helps us actively live out the commands to love one another in this biblical way, as well as deepening our own relationship with God. But at the same time details are probably best kept vague for all those not directly involved.

Saying "please pray for wisdom for our son as we deal with a difficult time" is great. Splashing intimate life details across Facebook beyond that probably isn't necessary.

For specific examples I'd be looking at the beginning and ending chapters of the epistles to specific churches, like 1 Thessalonians and Phillipians. We also see the level of detail gone into and most is pretty vague in these letters to be pseed around to churches unless the individual is asking for themselves.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Maybe she's thinking that if it's good for two to agree in prayer (as in Matthew 18:19), more would be even better. 

Regardless, it's totally inappropriate, as well as unloving and unkind, for her to post details publicly on Facebook. Asking for general prayer for her family or even prayer for an unspoken request (as people often do at my church) is enough. God knows the situation, after all.  :)

• Like 3