Menu

Adopt a Soldier

SquirrellyMama

I tried to do a Google search for this, but didn't find any threads about it.

I'm filling in our Advent Calendar. I usually put three things in each pocket: 1. Candy, 2. Someone or something to pray for, and 3. A Random Act of Kindness. One of the suggestions I found online was adopting a soldier. Has anyone done this? What were your experiences like? What kind of stuff did you send them?

Thanks! Kelly

Dh, a soldier, would request NO travel size toiletries, particularly free ones from hotels. Also no used romance novels. You'd be surprised how many of those they got. Magazines like Popular Mechanics, National Geographic, etc were read and enjoyed. Non-melty snacks with dense calories (nuts, raisins) that can fit in a pocket for long patrols are good. A friendly letter is welcome, but understand you may hear nothing back, even if it was welcome and appreciated. My husband (as a young man) and the other guys also enjoyed silly things like nerf guns and little toy soldiers.

• Like 1

Dh, a soldier, would request NO travel size toiletries, particularly free ones from hotels. Also no used romance novels. You'd be surprised how many of those they got. Magazines like Popular Mechanics, National Geographic, etc were read and enjoyed. Non-melty snacks with dense calories (nuts, raisins) that can fit in a pocket for long patrols are good. A friendly letter is welcome, but understand you may hear nothing back, even if it was welcome and appreciated. My husband (as a young man) and the other guys also enjoyed silly things like nerf guns and little toy soldiers.

Thank you! That is really helpful :)

Kelly

• Like 1

When my brother was deployed, he let us know that there were several men in his unit who never got mail. I taught Pre K at church and was able to talk my youth director into having the kids as groups send things to these soldiers. My brother said that seeing their reactions was priceless...especially since they knew the senders were people we knew. Do you know anyone local who has a deployed loved one that could suggest something similar?

If they are stationed somewhere it's cold in winter, those pocket hand warmer things are great.

Nothing perishable or that can melt, mold, or be ruined by freezing (I received a care package once that consisted of moldy cake. Nice thought...not so great execution), even if the destination is cold, the shipping route might not be climate controlled and could be hot or cold.

Really, even just letters or post cards can be nice. One year they dumped a stack of them in the rec room on my ship, and I found a dozen or so letters all from the same 4th grade class. I replied to them collectively and they wrote back, that was really cool.

• Like 2