Menu

Berean Builders Science in the Ancient World

MyLife

I like the whole series. I've used Science in the Beginning, Science in the Ancient World, and now Science in the Scientific Revolution. I use it in a group setting with multiple grades K–3 and 4–6, who are a blend of homeschool and students from a small classical school. I like:

--that it includes different levels of questions (younger, older, oldest) for each lesson so you can work with different ages

--that it includes an experiment/demo for each lesson, mostly with materials you'd have on hand or could buy locally

--that it links history to science

Now that I've used multiple levels, my only complaint would be that some of the experiments get reused from one book in another. A few experiments I felt only made the concept more difficult, not easier, but I used my judgment and modified or skipped them.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

This is my second year teaching this at my homeschool co-op. I did Ancient World last year, and this year I did Scientific Revolution. I have also subbed out experiments or added in additional ones. Overall, my students love the series and are excited and engaged. 

• Like 2

I think the Berean Builders science series is my ideal elementary science curriculum!

The experiments/demonstrations are great and they have a purpose - students learn real science. (it's more than fluff. but it's not dry!)

And we are using it in line with our history studies. It doesn't match perfectly, but I love the tie-in.

cons: it is listed for grades K-6. Honestly it is above my first grader's head.

• Like 1

I'm Christian, but old earth. I don't mind some references to young earth in science, but I don't want something that talks about it constantly. This is by Apologia folks right? How heavy is it with young earth? (Not wanting a debate at all, just information :) it sounds like it might fit in pretty well with our mystery of history studies for volume two next year.

• Like 2

I'm Christian, but old earth. I don't mind some references to young earth in science, but I don't want something that talks about it constantly. This is by Apologia folks right? How heavy is it with young earth? (Not wanting a debate at all, just information :) it sounds like it might fit in pretty well with our mystery of history studies for volume two next year.

Not Apologia, but written by Dr. Jay Wile. Apologia still sells some of his textbooks, but he is no longer affiliated with them. He is young earth himself, but is not nearly as dogmatic about it as the Apologia folks.

• Like 2