Menu

Calc Course to prep for CLEP

Dd is currently taking Derek Owens PreCalc, and seems to like it fine, although she seems to have a knack for doing the least possible amount of work.  She picks up concepts quickly, but does not like doing a lot of practice problems (in DO, she skips them and just does the graded homework  :glare: ).  Would have been nice if she could have stuck with AoPS, but the classes are too fast-paced, and I feel the need for some backup and outside accountability.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards having her CLEP Calc (instead of AP).  I was just going to have her do the DO AP Calc course and then take it, but the other PAHS thread was talking about how the AP courses have a lot of AP-specific stuff like FRQs.  I'm not even quite sure what the FRQs look like, but if they're anything she perceives to be busy work, I know she's going to give me a lot of push-back.

Should I stick with the plan to have her do DO for Calc, or is there another prep/course that might be better?  I think the ideal courses for her would have been the WTMA AoPS courses, but she's a couple of years early... 

I also would like her to finish on the early side if possible, so she can get the CLEP on her transcript before she graduates in May...  this is why I keep coming back to DO...

Ds did this course https://www.coursera.org/learn/calculus1 on Coursera. He may have done part of the Calc 2 course at the point he took the Clep. He got a great score. Get the REA Clep guide for her to use right before the exam.

That looks interesting - it also looks like it's fairly fast-paced (16 weeks), and that you take it starting at a specific time, and have to keep up (not self-paced)?  The next class starts next week - how often is it offered?  I don't think she'll get through PreCalc before spring at the earliest...

ETA: There are grades given by the Coursera teacher or somehow built in to the course?  Are they multiple choice/automated, or??  And is anyone available to answer questions?

Another ETA: How long are those videos?  Dd does better with short ones (this is a good thing about DO...)

Edited by Matryoshka

That looks interesting - it also looks like it's fairly fast-paced (16 weeks), and that you take it starting at a specific time, and have to keep up (not self-paced)? The next class starts next week - how often is it offered? I don't think she'll get through PreCalc before spring at the earliest...

ETA: There are grades given by the Coursera teacher or somehow built in to the course? Are they multiple choice/automated, or?? And is anyone available to answer questions?

It was self paced when he took it so not sure what is going on. Dd took it at least a year before Ds and it wasn't self paced. At that time it was offered pretty continuously with a new section starting as soon as one ended.

The quizzes are multiple choice. There are class assistants that answer questions. Dd was a class assistant after she completed the class. She answered lots of questions while volunteering. Ds just asked Dd. ;)

Grades....you should be able to keep track of your average on the dashboard.

This class is free with the textbook provided online which is the big advantage.

eta the videos are 5 to 10 minutes each but there are several of them.

Also there is a problem generator for extra practice. Dd liked it....ds says there were plenty of problems without the generator. lol

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1