Menu

Right Start C or Signapore

MistyMountain

I am trying to look into math curriculum for ds if I pull him. He has done good with mental math tricks I showed him and the parts of the old edition Right Start B we did the summer after kindergarten. He is in 2nd and can and subtract in his head well. He does not do well at all in Saxon that the school uses. It is too many things in one lesson and does not include enough about how to mentally calculate. I feel like it is really holding him back.

I heard that the later levels of Right Start are not as good but I do like that it is one of the only ones that teaches it left to right addition and subtraction which he does well with. I would probably get the new edition this time. I think he would probably do good in Signapore too and I would use the placement test to see what level to get.

I also considered CSMP but I am not sure of the pacing or scope of that. I know it is recommended on dyscalculia threads which he does not have but I am looking for things that really teach number sense and mental math.

I did math mammoth add and subtract 3 and multiplication with him this summer and he handled the math fine. The earlier add and subtract was too easy. He really hated it though and whined about that more then anything else.

Edited by MistyMountain

If you've done MM Add and Subtract 3, then I'm thinking RightStart C would not be the correct placement for him. Have you done the placement test?

I'm one of the people who jumped ship after RS C. There was so much repetition and it moved so slowly! For my kid, who is fairly math-intuitive, she needed something that moved along with her. For us, that's been Beast Academy.

• Like 1

You are right. I did the placement test and it placed him in level D. I do no think he has had enough math to do Beast Academy 3 yet. Poor kid must be stifling in the Saxon he does at school though. I wonder what Signapore level he would place into? The right start placement test is very easy but he will have to take an actual test for Signapore.

Edited by MistyMountain

If he's placing into RS D, then he's likely ready for Beast, if that would be a good fit. I know there's several parents around here that moved from RS C to BA3.

Singapore's sequence is quite different from RightStart's; definately do a placement test. Several people add further challenge to the program by adding on the Intensive Practice book and the Challenging Word Problems book.

Does anyone like Right Start D or the other later levels of Right Start? Is it the repetitiveness or something else that you do not like?

My dd8 is currently in RS D (2nd ed) and doing well. RightStart has and continues to be a perfect fit for her. She's done levels B and C previous to this year. She's not naturally math-y (whatever that really means). She needs a lot of review, problems/concepts presented in different ways, and the variety, manipulatives, and games that RightStart offers.

IMO, people most often leave RS because it's too difficult to accelerate for an intuitive/math-y kid.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of RS's placement test; it seems way too simplified. Personally, I would call them and talk to them about it before deciding and spending that kind of money on a math curriculum. They have great customer service!

HTH

• Like 1

We just started RS D and we are supplementing with Beast Academy 3.  My husband does Beast Academy with my son when he is home.  I like Right Start.  I do accelerate it a bit.  But I just started D, so I'm not sure how D will go.  We are on Lesson 25.  So far, my son is happy with both of them.  

• Like 1

Does anyone like Right Start D or the other later levels of Right Start? Is it the repetitiveness or something else that you do not like?

I haven't seen the 2nd edition but the 2 main reasons for switching from RS to Singapore were (1) wanting something less parent intensive and more independent and (2) that RS D and E seemed like they had a single year's worth of material over the 2 books. RS is far too expensive a program IMHO to purchase 2 levels for use in a single year.

• Like 1

I eventually will get funds to help out. Right now cost could be an issue but by summer when the funding for the next school year starts it would not be if he moved through it in less then a year and had to get E. I wonder if I could at least get by with the manipulatives I have and find used copies. Maybe I can even see a sample.

I am still torn. He already does multi digit addition and subtraction from the left and it helps him do problems mentally. In general I prefer mastery but he did like Right Start B when we did it and seemed to do well with it. I am not sure if he will do better with repetition or not. I think I will get FAN math as a supplement if I get Signapore or Right Start.

Edited by MistyMountain