Menu

If you have a child with Type 1 diabetes that later developed Celiac,

Sara in AZ

what did that look like?

DD14 has had diabetes for 8 years. Her yearly blood work has always come back negative for Celiac antibodies. Last check was in April of this year.

This year, she has lost nearly 20 lbs since January. She is currently 101 and 5'3". I think she started the year around 120. That's a big drop. She's not trying to lose weight. I''m not concerned at all about eating disorders or anything like that. She has always been a picky eater, but I don't think the amount of food she eats has decreased, though.

She did get braces on this year, plus she broke both arms over the summer which made it difficult to eat for a while. And she just finished swim team at school. That used up a lot of calories, I'm sure. But 20 pounds?

She has been having what seems like fairly frequent stomach pain (at times so bad she throws up), but I've attributed it to constipation because she has struggled with serious constipation her whole life. And it seems to resolve when I up the Miralax. At times I've wondered if might be menstrual cramps, but she had her first period last April and nothing since.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do you think it could be Celiac? DD 8 was diagnosed with Celiac last spring and her only symptom was vague stomach pain. We discussed it all with the endocrinologist yesterday and I'm taking her in for more blood work to check for Celiac, thyroid, and another autoimmune disease. I just can't stop worrying about her and I'm wondering if this sounds familiar for anyone else!

FWIW, I recently read something about anti-GAD65 antibodies (common in T1D), some sort of molecular mimicry between GAD65 and gluten (and possibly casein), and gluten sensitivity. Just throwing that out there; I don't know anything more.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I'll research it. Thank you.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with celiac. My type 1 dd does have some thyroid issues that developed about 2 years ago - she's 12 now and has had type 1 for 8 years. We are about to see a new endocrinologist and I'm wondering if she will want to do another round of bloodwork.

We're in AZ, too :)

Thank you for sharing. 😊 Can I ask what kind of thyroid issues?