Menu

calculus readiness test?

I found a calculus readiness test:

https://data.artofproblemsolving.com//products/diagnostics/calculus-pretest.pdf

I don't have a precalc final - but just google; there must be tons out there.

But if it's for you: wouldn't you know whether you completed precalc with mastery or not?

I'm taking college algebra with trig (because I was not sure where I should start).  Turned out to be too easy.  Which is ok because better too easy than completely lost (plus money wise it worked out because I already had the book).  So I decided to study the pre-calc stuff on my own.  I'm using an ALEKS course for that (and a few other odds and ends).  I'm about 70% through the material.  It quizzes you periodically, but it basically just tells you at what percentage you have progressed through the material.  I am not 100% sure if it covers all the necessary topics and I'd rather just be sure if I can handle it.  If I were taking pre-calc at the same school then yeah I'd assume I would be ready.  I'd like to skip it in part to save money. 

Hm.  I find their placement tests to be particularly easy.  I don't think I'm THAT good though. 

There really is not THAT much needed to be calculus ready. Calculus has only two basic ideas (the rest is tricks and techniques), and a solid mastery of algebra 1 and some geometry is sufficient for much of it. Some "business calculus" courses don't even cover calculus of trig functions.

Much of the benefit in having taken algebra 2 and precalc lies in developing stronger math fluency - the student who has just passed algebra 1 won't have the math maturity. But a lot of the actual material is not a prerequisite for calculus 1.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

There really is not THAT much needed to be calculus ready. Calculus has only two basic ideas (the rest is tricks and techniques), and a solid mastery of algebra 1 and some geometry is sufficient for much of it. Some "business calculus" courses don't even cover calculus of trig functions.

Much of the benefit in having taken algebra 2 and precalc lies in developing stronger math fluency - the student who has just passed algebra 1 won't have the math maturity. But a lot of the actual material is not a prerequisite for calculus 1.

Thanks.  This is helpful!

Agree with regentrude. Furthermore, being willing to say "Oh my goodness, I forgot xyz" and go find a reference book and learn it will carry you a long way as long as you can use basic algebra/pre-algebra and reason mathematically. It's the reasoning mathematically that's challenging. 

Edit: This book is cheap and might be useful -- https://www.amazon.com/Just-Time-Algebra-Trigonometry-Calculus/dp/032167104X

It parallels a fairly standard calculus class with "here's the algebra you probably forgot and now need"

Edited by kiana
  • Like 3

Agree with regentrude. Furthermore, being willing to say "Oh my goodness, I forgot xyz" and go find a reference book and learn it will carry you a long way as long as you can use basic algebra/pre-algebra and reason mathematically. It's the reasoning mathematically that's challenging. 

Edit: This book is cheap and might be useful -- https://www.amazon.com/Just-Time-Algebra-Trigonometry-Calculus/dp/032167104X

It parallels a fairly standard calculus class with "here's the algebra you probably forgot and now need"

Oh I definitely do that.  With everything.  I think I'd do fine.  I just lack confidence I guess.  Plus I don't mind a challenge, but it's not my main commitment so I need to consider how much time I can put into it.