Menu

Quick! Bakers - how long do I cook this cake? Update: Done

luuknam

https://web.archive.org/web/20061109044725/http://www.makingithomemagazine.com/poundcake.htm

So, last time I made this cake was probably August 2010. IIRC, it takes only 65 min (in a regular gas oven), instead of the 90 the recipe lists. However, I can't find my loaf pan (nor my mixer - my wife says maybe they're still in Texas!?!). So, I thought I grabbed my medium spring form, but it turned out to be my large spring form. So, since gas oven is broken, it's in the toaster oven on the convection setting. I'm guessing it should take even shorter (batter seems lower? iirc?), but Google isn't very helpful in giving me a conversion chart for times. Ugh. My estimate is I should check it after 45 min? Yes? No? We really like this cake (just got sick of eating it I made it so often).

Edited by luuknam

no idea about toaster ovens.

FWIW, this toaster oven (on convection setting) seems to be pretty much the same as a (preheated) regular oven wrt cooking frozen pizzas and brownies from brownie mix and the like.

Edited by luuknam

Alright, so, we're at min 50, and it looked good, fork came out dry, until I took it out of the oven, and the back side is paler than the front (actually had the same issue with the corn bread my 5yo made on Friday). Fork in that part came out not perfectly dry (but close). So, added aluminum foil, rotated it 180 degrees, and stuck it in for another 5, which would bring it at 55 min. Thinking that should do the trick.

Yes, looking good now, fork dry in several spots. It was a 10.5 inch spring form, btw, for those who want to replicate this (or you could do the loaf pans in the recipe, but like I said, iirc it took only 65 min in those, not 90).

So happy I didn't burn my wife's birthday cake. :)

• Like 1

Yay! Cake success!

Yes. I probably should've tried baking a cake in the toaster oven sooner - I was just so hesitant to try, because, well, who bakes a cake in a toaster oven?? (gas oven broke soon after we moved here almost 4 years ago)

I do think the cake came out better in the loaf pans, from what I remember. But, wife liked the cake (she isn't a cake person, so it tends to be this or carrot cake).

Yes. I probably should've tried baking a cake in the toaster oven sooner - I was just so hesitant to try, because, well, who bakes a cake in a toaster oven?? (gas oven broke soon after we moved here almost 4 years ago)

I used to bake in the toaster oven all the time. 

This one is quick and easy, tastes good, and will fit even a moderate-sized toaster oven if an appropriate pan is chosen -- http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/lightning-cake-a-quick-easy-yellow-cake-recipe/

• Like 1