Menu

DIY people

My4arrows

I need some help. I have a small kids table that has been well loved over the past 8 years. What I'm guessing is stain (?) is peeling off or has been scratched off by the kids over the years. I want to paint it so it looks nicer while we still use it.

Do I need to or can I even sand it?

What do I use to paint it? Paint? Spray paint?

Any other tips? I want to do the table and all 4 chairs

If it looks like a plastic you can peel off, then yes, you need to remove that before you paint or stain it over. If you have an electric sander, it will go faster. I would probably not do spray paint.

• Like 1

Do you know what the top is made of? Wood? Particle board? Laminate? The products that you would use on each surface could vary.

Wood could be sanded and stained. Or you could get a kit and paint something to look like wood. Or use glossy paint, matte paint, chalk paint, stencil, decoupage.... Or, cover with laminate -- you can get laminate in rolls and glue it on with a special glue.

A key would be having good surface preparation. But, if you cannot get as smooth a surface as you want, choose a treatment that is not glossy.

It sounds as though you have a wood table? Perhaps with a polyurethane coating? That type of coating often peels off. If you want the same look, sand the table -- wrap rough sandpaper over a block of wood and sand, then medium paper, then fine. Get a tacky cloth to wipe off dust. Then you can stain with a rub on stain and a rub in top coat in matte finish, not glossy. Personally, I would go to a local hardware or paint store and get help selecting specific products.

Oh, don't worry if there are some nicks and gouges. It's the distressed look, lol.

Good luck!

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Sand it making sure to get off the peeling part. That is usually a clear coat and won't take paint.

Once sanded good, wipe it all down, getting the dust off.  Then you can stain or paint. 

Spay paint might work but it would probably take several coats.  (I spray painted my picnic table and the out come was good).  Or you can use a brush and paint.

Once all the paint is dry I would recommend a varnish, shellac or clear coat.  I used a spray paint kind on my picnic table but a brush on kind on some other chairs. 

Have fun.  I love redoing furniture

• Like 1

House painted my way through college. The secret to a good paint job, is good preparation. Fill in the deep knicks and dents with wood putty, and sand everything smooth working your way to at least 160/180 grit paper.  Then degrease and sand again.  Paint lightly, sand with 200/220 grit between coats, and then recoat. Repeat until you are satisfied with finish.  If a work/play table, a couple of coats of  water based poly urethane. will protect the finish.   grit refer to the smoothness of  of the sandpaper (lower the number, the coarser the sand). some of the smaller hardware stores will sell to you by the sheet.  You will only need a few of each at around a dollar each.

Edited by gstharr