Menu

Bravewriter Online: Graded or Not

Title says it all, really. Have you had your high-schooler receive a grade for a BW course? If so, what did you think of the grading?

My teen is taking a BW course for the first time, and it's mainly to get over an enormous mental hurdle of getting.words.on.paper. So I'd hate to derail or upend the process by worry about grade instead of focus on process.

OTOH, a grade is handy for record-keeping and grade legitimacy.

So what have you done, and are you glad with the choice you made?

My son took one BW course last year (9th grade) for the very same reasons you mentioned, Rockhopper. So no, I did not have his work graded---although I was very pleased with it. I just folded that work into his overall English grade which included grammar, literature, and some other writing done at home. 

We plan for him to take two BW classes this year (one fall, one spring). Since he developed some confidence in last year's course and realized that the courses are not THE END OF THE WORLD, I am going to request grades for this go around. 

I think that if you are wanting a kid to get slowly, gently used to being graded, BW is about the most friendly class you could pick.

I know that for Kidswrite Intermediate and the Passion for Fiction they said that the grading was optional and you should let them know if you want one. I didn't bother, because it was 8th grade. This year in 9th, she's taking Expository Essay, and they are giving grades without us asking. So I think some classes are automatically graded and some are grade-optional?  I'm not sure.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy

• 2 weeks later...

I think that if you are wanting a kid to get slowly, gently used to being graded, BW is about the most friendly class you could pick.

I know that for Kidswrite Intermediate and the Passion for Fiction they said that the grading was optional and you should let them know if you want one. I didn't bother, because it was 8th grade. This year in 9th, she's taking Expository Essay, and they are giving grades without us asking. So I think some classes are automatically graded and some are grade-optional? I'm not sure.

Highschool classes are graded automatically, I think

Kidswrite Intermediate is not an official Highschool class so the grading is optional.

Makes that sense according the Passion for Fiction class?

• Like 1