Menu

Anyone have a student in a Center for Lit class last year? How did you grade?

My 9th-grader was in Center for Lit's World Literature class last year and I need a grade for the transcript. The class was completely discussion-based so there is no paperwork to evaluate. I wrote to Center for Lit with this question but only got an answer regarding awarding credit. I then wrote back clarifying my question but haven't gotten a response. Did anyone else figure this out?

This year they have a discussion board that they will use for grading. But there was nothing like this last year.

What else did you student do to make up a credit for English? I'm assuming the discussion group was not it, right? My dd was in the American Lit group. If the student actively participated in discussions and was able to thoughtfully engage with the book, I'd award an A. But the whole Eng. grade was based on other things she did, not just being in the discussion. Your student probably did writing of some sort...that should factor in to the all-around grade.

• Like 2

I have one doing Center for Lit this year, but I specifically signed her up for the non-discussion board based group.

It will not be the only part of her literature/English credit. As long as she has done the work and learned from the discussions, I will award an A.

What else did you student do to make up a credit for English? I'm assuming the discussion group was not it, right? My dd was in the American Lit group. If the student actively participated in discussions and was able to thoughtfully engage with the book, I'd award an A. But the whole Eng. grade was based on other things she did, not just being in the discussion. Your student probably did writing of some sort...that should factor in to the all-around grade.

I agree with this. It's unlikely the Center for Lit has any records about your dd's participation as they weren't giving grades last year.  Base your participation grade on what Samba listed. 

• Like 1