Menu

Online college finders other than college confidential?

What online sites do you use to research colleges? My dd tried College Confidential and it only found six colleges nationwide where she could double major in Chinese and American Sign Language. I think there must be others. Is there a good site to use so she doesn't have to look at each college website individually?

• Like 1

What online sites do you use to research colleges? My dd tried College Confidential and it only found six colleges nationwide where she could double major in Chinese and American Sign Language. I think there must be others. Is there a good site to use so she doesn't have to look at each college website individually?

She might need to look at each degree individually. Then lay the results side by side and compare.

She may also find that the program has a different name. For example Chinese might be East Asian Language and Literature. She might also find several years of language study fits well with an Asian Studies or East Asian History degree.

• Like 2

I think I'd look individually at the majors and make my own list of potential colleges that show up with both majors.

Here's a site I've found that seems to be quite useful for all sorts of schools, undergrad, grad, and professional.  The link below is for Chinese:

http://colleges.startclass.com/d/o/Chinese-Language-and-Literature

On the left you can put in any data you want to refine a search.

Here's ASL.  There don't seem to be as many colleges offering it as a major, so perhaps there's still a better search engine out there.

http://colleges.startclass.com/d/o/American-Sign-Language-%28Asl%29

Have you tried pure google searches?

• Like 1

"Where she could double major"....   Compiling a list of schools that offer both is the first step.  Then, try to find school(s) that excel in both. Many schools offer a Major. Some excel in that Major. For example, Texas Tech University excels in Russian.  Quality may not be everything, but when someone is looking at her resume, the school she attended will be something  a potential employer is deeply interested in.  GL to her

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. It sounds like there will be no shortcuts for her. She's trying the recommended links. I think she is going to need to start a spreadsheet. There are areas of the country where she doesn't really want to live, so that should help reduce the number of schools she has to research.

• Like 2

There is a university for Deaf people in Washington DC.  Many years ago I had a friend who'd graduated from there. She was not Deaf, but she taught in a school for Deaf people in TX. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the university. Them having Chinese is another matter and I doubt that they have that, but who knows...