Menu

Why is my bread flat?

Night Elf

I didn't realize it could be the water. I don't measure the temperature. I just guess it by turning on the hot water but maybe I let it run too long? And I think I'll buy new yeast from a different store and see if that helps. I'm so disappointed! I made that especially to go with dinner tonight.

I didn't realize it could be the water. I don't measure the temperature. I just guess it by turning on the hot water but maybe I let it run too long? And I think I'll buy new yeast from a different store and see if that helps. I'm so disappointed! I made that especially to go with dinner tonight.

That would be my guess. Hot water kills the yeast.

• Like 1

Could be yeast or water temp.  It could also be the first sign your bread machine is going. That was the first sign with my first machine. They don't last that long, it turns out.  The thermometer was broken and it wasn't getting warm enough for the bread to rise in the amount of time it had set aside for rising.

If it happens again with different yeast, start looking for a new machine.

FWIW, I replaced mine with a Zoji from King Arthur and it's lasted 5 years and an incredible amount of abuse. I like to say that my house is where small appliances come to die. But that Zoji keeps turning out perfect bread year after year....

The snarky part of me wants to answer 'because it's flat bread!' :p

I've had loaves collapse or have a grainy texture and poor rise due to over kneading as well as over proofing the dough. And yes, accidentally killing the yeast will do it too.