Menu

Who went to family weekend?...

How did it go?

It was lovely to see my oldest again. I'm glad we're going back next weekend for my middle one to interview. That made it easier to leave him when we came home. His dog was ecstatic to see him again (we brought her as a surprise), but she is sad today. I think we'll both go for a nice cheering walk.

-Nan

Your bringing your son's dog to parents' weekend was a seriously cute touch!

It's hard to say goodbye, isn't it? I hope you and the dog can cheer each other up!

My kids were home for the weekend. I did NOT cry when they drove out of the driveway -- I waited at least three minutes before the tears started flowing! :sad:

We go out for parents' weekend in two weeks. I am really really really looking forward to it!

We went last year when our daughter was a freshman. It was great to see her--and it was the first time my husband had visited the campus--but she was busy with homework, and we found the activities a bit uninspiring.

So, this year we decided to skip family weekend and go spend time with her during her fall break, which comes two weeks after family weekend.

We're leaving Thursday morning and will meet up with her following her last class on Friday. We'll get to spend four days together on a mini-vacation, then deposit her back at school on Tuesday.

My dd's is this coming weekend and we simply can't afford to go, so......I am envying all of you that got to go. And this will be dd's first time to play in their orchestra, argh! I hate to miss it. :confused:

On the other hand, younger dd and our entire family got invited to a bonfire/hay-ride this weekend, so at least we won't be sitting around the house bemoaning the fact that we couldn't go to other dd's parent's weekend.

Glad you all got to see your babies. :001_smile:

I apparently am a mess today, judging by the number of brangles with my youngest, who normally is very reasonable and quiet, for such a high strung beastie. I suspect youngest was upset by the weekend, too, although fortunately he has a friend who is having a wonderful time in college and is expecting, as far as I can tell, his own experience to be much more like his friend's than his brother's. The brangles obviously mean I'm not at my most reasonable. The weekend went very well, though. We are super proud that he's still hanging in there, still trying hard to adjust and do a good job. I've promised to bring the dog up for a day in a few weeks to help break up the time between now and Thanksgiving. This is just hard. I wish I believed more in adjustments; in my own life, I have seldom adjusted to anything - horrible things just stayed horrible and I had to endure them and time slowed to forever. I'm hoping my son is not like that, but nothing in the past has ever indictated that he adjusts to things any better than I do. I keep thinking of all the things that might get better, like getting to know his friends better so he misses the ones at home less, and getting to the more interesting classes, and getting to the point where he has more leisure time, and making some close friends. His school really cares about the students, and he has confidence in that, but he definately isn't surrounded by tons of like-thinkers. I feel totally stupid for complaining about such a good thing as being able to send my son to college. My problems are all life-is-too-good problems. Amazing how much those can hurt. At least the weather is pretty today.

-Nan

ER's school doesn't have parents' weekend, or fall break either. We did get to see him this past Saturday because we drove down to visit friends that live near his college, and he came over too.

It was great to see him, but I think it made me miss him all the more after we parted! I am still struggling to adjust to his being away.

At least the weather is pretty today.

-Nan

We've had 6 straight days of cloudy, rainy, dreary weather. It has really affected my mood. The sun is trying to peep out now, but the clouds keep covering it.

As for adjusting, I have always been slow to adjust to new things, but in the past, I've eventually gotten there. I keep telling myself it will just take time. It's really only been a few (7) weeks since he went to college.

Edited by ereks mom

My dd's is this coming weekend and we simply can't afford to go, so......I am envying all of you that got to go. And this will be dd's first time to play in their orchestra, argh! I hate to miss it. :confused:

On the other hand, younger dd and our entire family got invited to a bonfire/hay-ride this weekend, so at least we won't be sitting around the house bemoaning the fact that we couldn't go to other dd's parent's weekend.

Glad you all got to see your babies. :001_smile:

Katia,

I manage a performing space on a small college campus. We have this situation every year, where parents are not able to see their kids perform. Here on my campus, students can check out a video camera from our media department and have a friend sit at the back of the Hall to film it. The media people are perfect dears about helping students to transfer the video to DVD (though I bet most students know all that stuff now).

Of course it's not the same at all. But maybe your daughter can have a friend film the concert?

That is the last thing you need. I've been dutifully trying to get some sun every day because I discovered (the hard way) that the switch from all day outside sailing to being inside homeschooling sometimes makes me slowly spiral down and down over the course of the fall until by Thanksgiving, I'm finding it hard to make myself do anything. Your cloudy week could be physically depressing as well as emotionally depressing. Do be careful, ok? I keep reminding myself that that poster (bless her) who councilled freshman said many don't adjust until the second or third semester, that it is really common. And getting-used-to-the-workload-wise, I think you are right and 7 weeks isn't that long yet. I'm sending you a pretend picture of a big red and orange sugar maple glowing in the sun.

-Nan

I have very fair skin, so I can't be out in the sun for very long at a time, but I really seem to need sunny weather most days. Just being able to see sunny skies out the window helps my mood.

ER seems to be adjusting much better than I am. I talked to him yesterday and he was telling me that he thinks he did well on the mid-term he had yesterday. But he was complaining about his roommate, who comes in very late and very loudly and disturbs ER's sleep.

We didn't go to the family weekend. It would have cost $70 admission to go for the day, and since dh had to work, it would have been me and my oldest with all the dc! No, thanks!

I have now seen my son 3 times: I went over to his dorm to watch football (he invited me!), we went over on my 5 yo's birthday because he misses him a lot, and he came home for less than 24 hours this weekend for the baby's baptism. We'll see him next week too, again for less than 24 hours, as he comes here for a day after returning from his fall break trip.