Menu

Pulling my hair out & panicking-need some advice!!

(My siggy isn't updated, so don't go by that)

My dd will be starting 9th this year, and has had a lot of health challenges that have put her behind.  She's got chronic Lyme disease, and so the last year or more, she has only done sporadic work.  For a while, she wasn't even able to read.  Because of this, she's super behind.  She still wants to be a 9th grader, though.  So here are my questions.  She needs to graduate (to get into her "choice" college-hopefully) having completed 3 years math, 2 lab-based science, 2 soc. science, 4 years english.  At this point, she won't take biology & chemistry til she's a jr & sr.  She wants to do Apologia Gen. Science this year & Physical science the following. (Her idea, she wants to do them all in order)

Obviously, those aren't considered 9th & 10th grade level science classes, but is it still okay for her to do them?  If the end result is what "they" want/require, what do I put on the transcripts for the 1st 2 years that won't hurt her chances?  The same goes for history.  We are doing it really light this year, to get her back into the swing.  She is reading & doing some writing now, but there is no way we can do what most 9th graders (at least most 9th grade homeschooler's) would be doing.

The math is TT, she is 3/4 through 6, is planning on excellerating through 7 & hopefully getting part way through pre-algebra.  Hopefully.  I know we will have to have a tutor at some point & there will be summer school, but again, as long as she gets the algebra, geometry & al. II, does it matter when?  

Also, she is also heavily involved in 4H, is a 4H Ambassador, is part of a 4H theater group, does recycling presentations for 4H, etc... 

She isn't going into a career that requires more math or science. She is planning on a music major, drama minor.  She's taking piano, guitar & voice.  

I've been so focused on getting her healthy, and now that she is (hopefully) getting better, we are all floundering a bit, thinking about the future.

Thanks for the help,

Tammi

I would probably skip General Science and do Physical science this year for 9th. Its not a lab science, but will not stand out as strange on a 9th grade transcript. We did both with DS and there really isn't any info in General that you need before doing Physical. Help her out with the math parts of Physical if they are above what she has covered and don't sweat it.

That leaves you three high school years to cover two lab sciences - which might be a good plan if the health stuff starts acting up. Getting far enough along in the math to do Chemistry or Physics may be an issue, so having an option to take it slow would be worth it to me.

If TT6 is going well, you can consider skipping TT7 and jumping into the pre-algebra. Moving a little slower through pre-algebra is better IMO than accelerating through both books since much of the material is repeated. This would let her do Algebra 1, 2 and Geometry before graduating - all of which are high school courses. It also gives you wiggle room if health becomes an issue.

• Like 7

I agree that skipping Apologia General Science is a good idea. I know so many people who said that course almost made their dc hate science, that I don't see the point.  Have her take physical science in 9th and include labs, biology in 10th with labs, and then reevaluate at that point based on where she is most interested in attending.  If she can't handle the math needed for chemistry yet at that point, taking advanced bio could be a better choice, with chemistry her senior year.  It's likely that most of the applicants will have had more than two years of science, and she'll want to be competitive. 

• Like 2

(My siggy isn't updated, so don't go by that)...

...My dd will be starting 9th this year, and has had a lot of health challenges that have put her behind.  She's got chronic Lyme disease, and so the last year or more, she has only done sporadic work.  For a while, she wasn't even able to read.  Because of this, she's super behind.  She still wants to be a 9th grader, though...

… history.  We are doing it really light this year, to get her back into the swing.  She is reading & doing some writing now, but there is no way we can do what most 9th graders (at least most 9th grade homeschooler's) would be doing.

… Also, she is also heavily involved in 4H, is a 4H Ambassador, is part of a 4H theater group, does recycling presentations for 4H, etc... 

...I've been so focused on getting her healthy, and now that she is (hopefully) getting better, we are all floundering a bit, thinking about the future...

:grouphug:  Sorry to hear of the health issues! Hope DD continues to improve to full health, and that you have a great new school year. :)

I know you said to not go by your signature, BUT... if your DD is only 13yo or 14yo right now, I'd suggest giving thought to making this a bonus middle school year (instead of 9th grade) to get her up to speed for the higher maths and sciences and the heavier workloads of high school. Or, if you really need for this to be 9th grade, then allow yourselves to consider doing a 5th year of high school -- not at all un-heard-of to be 19yo at graduation, and especially for a student who has been significantly sidetracked during their education with illness or injury.

Why I suggest this:

1. It doesn't sound like she is working at high school level yet, or ready to start working at high school level this year in several core areas:

- recovering, but not all the way back in health/energy

- still working on early middle school maths

- still working on early middle school science

- still building back up reading and writing stamina

2. Taking an extra year (either as bonus middle school year or a 5th year of high school) will:

- give DD an extra year of participation in all of her 4-H and any other extracurriculars

- give DD extra time for doing time-intensive Music and Theater credits she'll be doing in high school

- allow DD a more gentle year physically/energy-wise to completely recover

- allow DD more time to spread out credits at her pace, and to have more room in the schedule for additional credits of her personal interest

- allow DD the ability to transition gently into high school -- start some gentle high school level English and History if DD is ready for that

- make her more competitive for college admissions and scholarships, as she won't have any remedial math and science credits on the high school transcript, and have had the extra time to do some additional credits rather than just "bare bones"

3. You REALLY do NOT want to rush through those foundational maths of grade 6/7 and pre-algebra just to catch-up -- you want to work at your student's pace and level esp. now so that your student is SOLID in those foundational math skills and pre-algebra skills, because the higher maths absolutely build on those earlier maths, and if you don't have a solid foundation and push ahead too quickly, you can end up taking MORE time if you end up having to go back and re-visit earlier math concepts, or even have to re-do Algebra 1 in order to have the understanding needed for Algebra 2.

...At this point, she won't take biology & chemistry til she's a jr & sr.  She wants to do Apologia Gen. Science this year & Physical science the following. (Her idea, she wants to do them all in order)

Obviously, those aren't considered 9th & 10th grade level science classes, but is it still okay for her to do them?  If the end result is what "they" want/require, what do I put on the transcripts for the 1st 2 years that won't hurt her chances?...

re: Science

If this is the 9th grade year, you'll want to drop General Science and go straight to Physical Science. General Science is not accepted by high schools as a high school level credit, and colleges do not accept it for fulfilling admission requirements -- so General Science would "waste" a year of your very limited time for accomplishing required credits.

Physical Science IS accepted, and IS done by many high schools as the 9th grade science. So your student would be right on target as far as college-required science credits with Physical Science. Be sure to add some labs to it, and it will count as a lab science.

I also *strongly* recommend doing 3 credits of science, not just 2, as MANY colleges require 3 science credits for admission, not 2. That leaves the door open for your DD in case she needs to apply to more than one college, or doesn't get in to her college of choice.

Also, if DD is not STEM-based, and math and science are not strong areas for her, you could plan on substituting something else for the Chemistry (which is math-based). So maybe Physical Science, Biology, and Earth Science or Environmental Science...

The math is TT, she is 3/4 through 6, is planning on excellerating through 7 & hopefully getting part way through pre-algebra.  Hopefully.  I know we will have to have a tutor at some point & there will be summer school, but again, as long as she gets the algebra, geometry & al. II, does it matter when?  

The good news: no, it doesn't matter when she completes the math credits. You can list your credits on the transcript by subject area, rather than by grade/year, which de-emphasizes when credits were accomplished, and instead highlights the courses that were accomplished in each subject area. The "however" (lol): I already discussed above why I would be very careful about rushing to get through the math.

… She isn't going into a career that requires more math or science. She is planning on a music major, drama minor.  She's taking piano, guitar & voice. ..

Just an FYI: most college Bachelor degrees -- even Fine Arts based programs -- require a variety of general education credits that almost always include at least 1-2 Natural Science courses, and at least 1 Math course (often College Algebra -- which is like high school Algebra 2, plus more). Some Bachelor degree programs allow work-around for the math requirement of a course that is based in analysis and critical thinking or logic, but not always. So getting through Algebra 2 in high school can really be a boost for getting through any required college Math credit in the future.

All that said, if you and DD:

- absolutely want/need to start high school next year

- and want it to only last 4 years

- and are okay with no Electives beyond additional Fine Arts (i.e., no Health, PE, Computer, Vo-Tech, credits of personal interests, etc.)

- and are okay with having NO margin in case of:

* relapse in physical health

* future college admission requiring a year of World History or Geography

* future college admission requirements changing to 3 (not 2) credits of Soc. Sci. or For. Lang. (many colleges DO require 3 credits, not 2 credits, of these subjects, esp. the Soc. Sci.)

Then here is a possible way of squeezing it all in, with just over the 20 credits needed for high school graduation/college admission, AND assuming DD's heath/energy levels continue to improve so that each year she is able to increase her work load:

Overall Credits 

4 credits = English

3 credits = Math -- Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2

3 credits = Science -- Physical Science, Biology, + ?

2 credits = Social Science -- 1.0 credit = Amer. History; 0.5 credit each = Econ & Gov't

2 credits = Foreign Language (same language)

1 credit = Fine Arts

6 credits = Electives (the additional Fine Arts of DD's interest)

21 credits = total

9th grade

0.5 credit = English

0.5 credit = Math: (finish TT6, TT7 not countable credit), start of TT Pre-Algebra

0.5 credit = Science, with labs: Physical Science

0.5 credit = Social Science: American History
0.5 credit = Fine Arts: Voice

1.0 credit = Fine Arts: Piano & Guitar

total = 4 credits of work, 3.5 credits "countable" on transcript = roughly 4 hours work/day

10th grade

1.0 credit = English

1.0 credit = Math: finish TT Pre-Algebra, start TT Algebra 1

1.0 credit = Science -- 0.5 = finish Physical Science, 0.5 credit = start Biology

0.5 credit = Social Science: American History

0.5 credit = Fine Arts: Voice

total = 5 credits = roughly 5 hours work/day

11th grade

1.0 credit = English

1.5 credit = Math: finish Algebra 1 + Geometry

0.5 credit = Science: finish Biology

0.5 credit = Social Science: Econ

1.0 credit = Foreign Language

0.5 credit = Fine Arts: Theater

total = 6 credits = roughly 6 hours work/day

12th grade

1.5 credit = English

1.0 credit = Math: Algebra 2

1.0 credit = Science: choice

0.5 credit = Social Science: Gov't

1.0 credit = Foreign Language

0.5 credit = Fine Arts: Theater

total = 6.5 credits = roughly 6.5 hours work/day

21 = total transcript credits

BEST of luck, whatever you and DD decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Yep, another vote for skipping General Science. It doesn't lead into Physical. It is just something to do in 7th grade lol. Don't do it in 9th. Start a Physical and then do Biology. That gives her 2 lab sciences. She can do Chemistry in 12th if she has the math skills, if not, it isn't critical. 

Math, I agree with the advice about skipping TT7.  What isn't review from TT6 will be reviewed in Pre-Algebra (and you can slow down to cover that if you need to). If she struggles with any math concepts in Pre-Algebra, just be ready to take the time and cover them, but don't stop for TT7. It just isn't worth it. If she can get through Pre-Algebra this year, she can still cover Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 in the following 3 years and get her 3 years of high school math in.

• Like 2

Lori:

First of all, You ROCK!!  You don't know how much it means to me that you took the time to give me the information that you did!  THIS is what I've been waiting for!  We have actually been working with a Clonlara advisor, who is nice, but this is her first year, so I haven't gotten much back, yet.  I know I've probably overwhelmed her with questions, but still.... YOU should get paid for this!

Regarding this:

2. Taking an extra year (either as bonus middle school year or a 5th year of high school) will:

- give DD an extra year of participation in all of her 4-H and any other extracurriculars

- give DD extra time for doing time-intensive Music and Theater credits she'll be doing in high school

- allow DD a more gentle year physically/energy-wise to completely recover

- allow DD more time to spread out credits at her pace, and to have more room in the schedule for additional credits of her personal interest

- allow DD the ability to transition gently into high school -- start some gentle high school level English and History if DD is ready for that

- make her more competitive for college admissions and scholarships, as she won't have any remedial math and science credits on the high school transcript, and have had the extra time to do some additional credits rather than just "bare bones"

I would love to do either, but my ds is 12.5 and starting 8th grade this year.  Dd already feels completely inadequate, has little self-confidence, etc... And she still suffers from OCD & anxiety, so having her younger brother pass her up, especially this year would be too much for her.  At this point, her brain would not see the logic of staying back a year.  I am hoping by the time we get to 12th grade, that will change and we can possibly convince her that taking an extra year to get some college classes under her belt and extra experience in theater & music will be to her benefit.  But until then....I am very concerned about her health and relapse, also.  If she does, we will have to have her re-assess things.

I am definitely going to take everyone's advice and have her do Physical Science instead of General.  She did start General 2 years ago & HATED it.  But, she thinks she has to do it all in chronological order, can't miss something.  Having her skip TT7 will probably freak her out, too, but I see the widsom there.  

One other thing regarding soc. sciences/history.  This year, I want her to have a gentle introduction to-something.  She did American History last year (I feel like we've only ever done American & Ancient history, we seem to keep repeating those 2 but only get so far) so I wanted something different this year.  She is very much a get it over, get it done kid, and so she doesn't want a lot of literature to flesh everything out.  When we get to American History, I was going to have her do "For the Record: A Documentary History of America: From First Contact through Reconstruction", by David E. Shi and Holly A. Mayer and "America, A Narrative History" by George Brown Tindall.  But for this year, I'm not sure.  I was hoping to have her do Notgrass but she's opposed to them because she thinks there are a lot of other lit. books added.  There really aren't, but this year is going to be tough to find something not totally dry but not overwhelming.  Suggestions?  I am trying to see if I can use Essentials in Writing level 8 & Essentials in Literature level 8 and hope together they will count for 1 credit for 9th grade.  I spoke with someone at EIW & they suggested she do that for 9th grade and if she does well, have her skip level 9 and do 10-12 the remaining years.  They said if she did that, she'd be ready for college level writing.  

Thanks again for all of your help!

Edited by happyWImom
  • Like 1

How about a nice World Geography course for 9th grade?

We used a glencoe book and DD colored in countries on each continent and filled in capitals and so forth. We added in a bunch of National Geographic-type documentaries from Netflix and regional cooking from each continent. It made for a really interesting year.

Here is the book we used.

https://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-Geography-Student-McGraw-Hill-Education/dp/0078606993/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471653177&sr=8-1&keywords=Glencoe+world+geography

ETA we did it 8th grade but this is a high school level course.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 3

...You don't know how much it means to me that you took the time to give me the information that you did!  THIS is what I've been waiting for!  We have actually been working with a Clonlara advisor, who is nice, but this is her first year, so I haven't gotten much back, yet...

Glad that was of help! :)

I would love to do either, but my ds is 12.5 and starting 8th grade this year.  Dd already feels completely inadequate, has little self-confidence, etc... And she still suffers from OCD & anxiety, so having her younger brother pass her up, especially this year would be too much for her.  At this point, her brain would not see the logic of staying back a year.  I am hoping by the time we get to 12th grade, that will change and we can possibly convince her that taking an extra year to get some college classes under her belt and extra experience in theater & music will be to her benefit.  But until then....I am very concerned about her health and relapse, also.  If she does, we will have to have her re-assess things.

Absolutely then this is 9th grade. :) I'm sure that as she continues through high school, DD will mature and "get it" that due to the health issues she may need to take an extra semester or extra year to best enable her to reach her goals, and at that later time it won't be a problem for her. But yes, for now, by all means, run with 9th grade and high school. :)

Hopefully younger brother has completely different interests and possible future career path, so if they DO end up graduating together that they will be so doing their own/different things that it will not be any problem at all for DD.

.. I am definitely going to take everyone's advice and have her do Physical Science instead of General.  She did start General 2 years ago & HATED it.  But, she thinks she has to do it all in chronological order, can't miss something.  Having her skip TT7 will probably freak her out, too, but I see the widsom there. ...

Great! And, honestly, we did not care for Apologia, so if Physical Science is not going well, don't panic -- there are lots of other vendors out there with quality Physical Science programs that you can switch to. Key here is what is the best fit for DD, esp. since she will not be at full strength yet this year.

That was great to hear from other posters who are TT users that you will be able to skip TT7. To help reduce freak out, maybe try spinning as "you're doing so well with TT6, and TT-7 is designed with a lot of review for those who shaky with the TT-6 concepts, so you don't need TT-7, because you are ready for Pre-Algebra". That way it's a confidence booster. ;)

While it is NOT a typical high school credit, you can count Pre-Algebra as 1.0 credit of Math -- IF you go all the way through Algebra 2, so that you get all 3 credits of Math that will be needed for college admissions.

And can you shift younger brother to a completely different math provider for when he's ready for Pre-Algebra, so it's not quite so obvious to DD that they are almost on a level in Math??

… soc. sciences/history...

… She is very much a get it over, get it done kid, and so she doesn't want a lot of literature to flesh everything out….

...I was hoping to have her do Notgrass but she's opposed to them because she thinks there are a lot of other lit. books added...

...this year is going to be tough to find something not totally dry but not overwhelming.  Suggestions?...

Sounds like a good call. :) I do like your idea of going with World History rather than American History, since you just did American History. Do be prepared for having to do American History again at some point to get that required credit in there. That will mean needing to reduce DD's overall Fine Arts load from a total of 6 credits to 5 credits so that you can up the Social Sciences credit total from 2 to 3 in order to get in: World History, American History, and Econ & Gov't.

I'd also suggest reducing your work load this year by skipping over the ancients units of a World History program since you're all familiar with that. Maybe start with the fall of Rome and just go as far forward into History from there as you wish, or as far as you happen to make it what with everything else -- if you find you can't spend an average of 4 hours/week on History, then just total up what you did manage and assign credit accordingly at the end of the year.

Suggestions for a "get 'er done" World History:

- Alpha Omega grade 10 World History (either LifePac = workbooks, or Switched on Schoolhouse = CD roms) -- 10 units, first 2 units cover ancients up through fall of Rome, so you could either do these or drop them -- AND DD might feel very pleased to have a grade 10 program this year! :)

Study.com World History -- high school course with online videos, quizzes, exams -- 27 chapters (each sub-divided into lessons) -- the first 8 chapters are ancients through fall of Rome

- Khan Academy: Crash Course World History -- 42 video lessons; the first 11 are ancients through fall of Rome -- you would have to come up with some sort of output (quizzes, papers, discussion…)

- read through vol. 2, 3, and 4 of SWB's Story of the World -- you would have to come up with some sort of output

- Complete Idiot's Guide to World History, or, World History for Dummies -- for both, approximately  350 pages, first 75 are on ancients -- you would have to come up with some sort of output

re: Notgrass

If you do all of Notgrass as written, it is meant to be 3 credits: 1 each for Bible, History, and Literature. We've only done Notgrass American History (not the World History). I thought both the Bible and Literature elements were quite weak, so we just used the History portion. All that to say, if you want to JUST use the History portion (with the primary source document book, but skipping the novels and biographies that are meant for the Lit. portion), that would be plenty for a History credit. And you'll be using EiW for your English credit, so that's taken care of. As far as how dry is Notgrass… not familiar with the World History. We liked the American History, but then, it was more engaging to us because we were coming off of 2 years of high school history with Spielvogel's very textbook-y textbook… ;)

I am trying to see if I can use Essentials in Writing level 8 & Essentials in Literature level 8 and hope together they will count for 1 credit for 9th grade.  I spoke with someone at EIW & they suggested she do that for 9th grade and if she does well, have her skip level 9 and do 10-12 the remaining years...

The EiW 8 + EiL 8 should be fine for your 9th grade English credit. I wouldn't worry about thinking beyond this year right now. See how DD does health-wise, and if EiW is a good match or not. There may be all kinds of reasons for continuing with EiW, or switching away from it -- you just won't know for sure till you get a good ways into this school year. So, relax and just move forward with this first step. :)

Yes, if doing EiL, I'd skip doing any other Literature.

Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

How about a nice World Geography course for 9th grade?

We used a glencoe book and DD colored in countries on each continent and filled in capitals and so forth. We added in a bunch of National Geographic-type documentaries from Netflix and regional cooking from each continent. It made for a really interesting year.

Here is the book we used.

https://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-Geography-Student-McGraw-Hill-Education/dp/0078606993/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471653177&sr=8-1&keywords=Glencoe+world+geography

ETA we did it 8th grade but this is a high school level course.

I was thinking of her doing a geography course during high school, so this might be the way to go.

- read through vol. 2, 3, and 4 of SWB's Story of the World -- you would have to come up with some sort of output

- Complete Idiot's Guide to World History, or, World History for Dummies -- for both, approximately  350 pages, first 75 are on ancients -- you would have to come up with some sort of output

re: Notgrass

If you do all of Notgrass as written, it is meant to be 3 credits: 1 each for Bible, History, and Literature. We've only done Notgrass American History (not the World History). I thought both the Bible and Literature elements were quite weak, so we just used the History portion. All that to say, if you want to JUST use the History portion (with the primary source document book, but skipping the novels and biographies that are meant for the Lit. portion), that would be plenty for a History credit. And you'll be using EiW for your English credit, so that's taken care of. As far as how dry is Notgrass… not familiar with the World History. We liked the American History, but then, it was more engaging to us because we were coming off of 2 years of high school history with Spielvogel's very textbook-y textbook… ;)

Lori:

I am feeling so much better after reading all of this-I might actually sleep through the night without waking in a panic!

So, for history.  I just noticed you put SOTW in there, and that was honestly my original thought.  Since each volume has around 40 or so chaps. what if she did all 4 this year, along with the chap ques. & unit quizes?  I called TWTM & asked about beefing it up, and she said it says you can beef it up for 8th, and that's just using 1 volume.  I could also add in mapping.  This would be my top choice, because of the way SOTW is written-not dry.  What do you think?  Otherwise I'd lean towards Notgrass without the literature but I still think the writing is drier.  But I want it to look like she's doing 9th grade work.  I know, I seem hung up on that, but the Clonlara advisor made me nervous. :)

This is really my last question, I promise!  (For a while, at least)

Her recovery is more important than her grade level in school, so you've done well to focus on that.

Unless your state requires yearly reporting, you really don't have to make the decision this year. Just do what she's ready to do and figure out her grade level later.

If you decide to not call it 9th grade this year, one way you could sell that idea to your daughter would be to present the possibility of her taking some dual credit community college courses when she's ready (some are even online) and/or AP courses so that she can earn some college credit while still in high school. That way, even if she finishes a year later than she'd like to, she could do so with a semester or even a full year of college credits.

In addition, I agree that she could skip the general science and start with physical science.  In math, completing Algebra II is a reasonable goal and an acceptable level for admissions to a music program.

...So, for history.  I just noticed you put SOTW in there, and that was honestly my original thought.  Since each volume has around 40 or so chaps. what if she did all 4 this year, along with the chap ques. & unit quizes?  I called TWTM & asked about beefing it up, and she said it says you can beef it up for 8th, and that's just using 1 volume.  I could also add in mapping.  This would be my top choice, because of the way SOTW is written-not dry.  What do you think?  Otherwise I'd lean towards Notgrass without the literature but I still think the writing is drier.  But I want it to look like she's doing 9th grade work.  I know, I seem hung up on that, but the Clonlara advisor made me nervous. :)...

aarrrggghh! Computer just ate my very detailed response! The upshot was:

- what doest TWTM say about beefing up SOTW to *high school level* if they have good suggestions for making it high school level, then that would be do-able

- my thoughts are that vol. 1, and probably vol. 2, are too light for high school, and that DD will find vol. 1 "babyish"

- also, the SOTW activity guide questions are going to be comprehension questions (geared for elementary and early middle school students), and are not going to be late middle school/high school level thinking and analysis questions for oral discussion, which is the type of thinking, analyzing, connection-making, compare/contrast, and output you transition into doing in high school

- some output ideas: possible timeline and/or map work; a weekly 1-paragraph reader response essay to a discussion/thinking question; every 2-4 weeks, a 3-5 paragraph reader response essays to compare/contrast, make connections, analyze topic(s) in the readings; occasional powerpoint presentation on researched topic; a multi-page research paper once a semester

- if SOTW can't be beefed up to real high school level, then I'd go with one of the other "get 'er done" ideas, and adapt the assignment load to fit your DD's health and energy abilities

-

(linked is a 7 minute video showing all the features of the program) is nice because it's streamlined, not rigorous, and has multi-media for variety, plus built-in quizzes/grading, and optional assignments, so you can adjust easily as needed

- Notgrass (see sample lessons at this webpage) can be adjusted to drop the 5th day's reading each week which is the Bible/worldview lesson, which would give you an extra day each week for the other 4 days of reading plus the readings from the companion primary source volume; there are optional quizzes/tests, and you can pick & choose as many or few of the assignments as fit your DD's 

My final thought is to definitely look at all the samples and materials WITH DD, and get her input, as she will be the one doing the work. :) BEST of luck in finding what works best! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Hi Friend,

I do understand the challenge of teaching a child with a physical condition, my prayers will be with you and your daughter.

I agree with the above comments about Physical science, and skipping general. If you wanted to: you could add in some extra hands on astronomy to the apologia physical science - and rename it Earth Science with lab. In my state, this fit the description for high school earth science credit since our state decided it no longer called physical science a high school level course. You may want to check your state and/or the college to which your girls wants to apply to see if that matters. Master books also has some sets that cover physical science content. It might be worth checking out. I personally have only used their astronomy. Memoria also has some 9th grade science options.

http://www.masterbooks.com/homeschool-curriculum/create-a-bundle

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science

About history options: Beautiful feet might be a consideration as it is a literature based history program. If you daughter is not feeling well some days, she might still be able to "hack" some of the easier reading in these courses.

http://bfbooks.com/Study-Guides

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Friend,

I do understand the challenge of teaching a child with a physical condition, my prayers will be with you and your daughter.

I agree with the above comments about Physical science, and skipping general. If you wanted to: you could add in some extra hands on astronomy to the apologia physical science - and rename it Earth Science with lab. In my state, this fit the description for high school earth science credit since our state decided it no longer called physical science a high school level course. You may want to check your state and/or the college to which your girls wants to apply to see if that matters. Master books also has some sets that cover physical science content. It might be worth checking out. I personally have only used their astronomy. Memoria also has some 9th grade science options.

http://www.masterbooks.com/homeschool-curriculum/create-a-bundle

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science

About history options: Beautiful feet might be a consideration as it is a literature based history program. If you daughter is not feeling well some days, she might still be able to "hack" some of the easier reading in these courses.

http://bfbooks.com/Study-Guides

Thanks for your advice, and especially your prayers.  I just saw this now; we were out of town.

Anyway, I think we've got a plan:

Math: Skip TT7 (if she struggles with 8 & we have to cover certain concepts more, I've already got 7, so we're prepared)

English:  Essentials in Writing, level 8 and Essentials in Literature Level 8  

Soc. Studies:  Abeka World Geography 9 (Sem 1) either Abeka Health 9 or Liberty On-line Health (Sem 2)

Science: Apologia Physical Science (Honestly, what I'm dreading most, since there is so much reading, plus the experiements. When she tried Gen Science the prev. year, it took her over an hour every day, not including experiments)

Misc:  Great Courses: How to Become a Superstar Student

4-h: theater group, Ambassador's (gives presentations on recycling, etc...) lots of opportunities for speeches/demos

Music: piano, guitar & voice lessons

Art: misc. local classes every couple of months

I am just praying that she is physically & mentally up to it, and that she gives herself a break.  

• Like 2

Apologia does have an audio version for the Physical Science book. It is an MP3 file disk that you can put onto a device. Also, they offer DVD's with an actual teacher. We are using their DVD for Biology right now. It includes teaching for each section of each chapter, as well as a recording of all of the experiments.

new:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=apologia+physical+science&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1

used - I didn't look specifically - the listings are long - I have bought books off of here in the past. But this is the right section - if you are interested

http://homeschoolclassifieds.com/curriculum.asp?lng=Science:+Biology,+chemistry,+and+physics&shrt=S2

Have you seen the free online self paced classes for Apologia science? It is like a power point explaining one chapter at a time. We used this last year a few times. There is a pintrest link to it also.

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/

I do not have experience with the General Science, but in Physical Science, the reading is usually about 3 - 6 pages. The schedule in the beginning of the student notebook is what we used as a basis for our timeline.

I pray things go well as you navigate her school year one week at a time. She sounds like a really special girl - with all of those really unique interests!

• Like 1