Menu

WWYD...lice exposure

momto3innc

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

We were at a friend's house yesterday.  They just found one louse on one of their kids...that was playing with my youngest two for a couple hours yesterday. 

How much should I panic?

So far, I had all kids plus me wash and condition and added tea tree oil to the shampoo.

Then we stripped the beds and put on new sheets, pillowcases, and blankets.  Everything is getting washed. (can I just dry blankets on high or do I have to wash those too?)

Putting stuffed animals from bed in bags.

Is that enough?  Would you do other things?  We've never had them.  We may very well be fine so I don't want to totally freak out, but...I really really don't want lice.  My kids have a little bit of dandruff and I'm just clueless for what I'm looking for if I started checking their hair.

Help!! WWYD?

I think you did all you could for now. You can google images of what to look for. Honestly, it's unlikely they got lice from a two hour playdate unless they were playing dress up or playing with each other's hair or possibly rolling around on the beds and sofas. We have been exposed many times at that level (not knowing until after) and never picked it up (knock on wood).

• Like 1

I wouldn't have done anything except the Cetaphil treatment. That's easy, so worth doing. I'd do it again in a week to be sure. The chance of ending up with a louse would be small. We get advise from the school about a child in the class having lice at least half a dozen times a year, and ds has ended up with lice twice in 4 years (and once I think was courtesy of his sister), and it's been super easy to deal with each time with Cetaphil. Even then I only washed sheets and pillow cases once. The first time we tried the conditioner comb-through treatment and that wasn't successful. We now reply on the Cetaphil method exclusively, and throw in a treatment occasionally just in case.

• Like 1