Menu

My uncle is very worried ...

Haiku

... about my kids getting enough socialization!  :lol:

My uncle lives 18 hours away, but we talk semi-regularly. During our conversation today, he expressed his deep concern that my dd really needs to go to high school now so that she will "have a chance to be socialized with other kids."

I think he was a little surprised when I rattled off the list of all the activities she participates in.

At least he cares about his great-niece and great-nephew!  :hurray:

• Like 2

I keep waiting for some relative to say...

"I'm worried about your kid getting socialization. How about if I take her to Europe with me for two weeks?"

Or DisneyWorld - lots of social activities there, right?

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 6

Sometimes the reason we homeschooled was so we could socialize. Oldest was very isolated in public K even though there were 24 kids in the class. At the same time it was too much to do a lot after school. In first grade, homeschooling, he did cub scouts, 4H, soccer, gymnastics, and swimming. Oh and I ran a science class for other homeschoolers out of the house.

• Like 1

I keep waiting for some relative to say...

"I'm worried about your kid getting socialization. How about if I take her to Europe with me for two weeks?"

Or DisneyWorld - lots of social activities there, right?

But what if Aunt March promises to take Daughter #2 but then decides daughter #4 is a more suitable companion?? Darn you, Aunt March.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 3

My father-in-law is worried that my daughter will be socially isolated and somehow socially damaged long term because of taking dual-enrollment classes at the community college (note that she's been homeschooled since age 4, it's not like she's being yanked out of public school). He's basing this on his uncle's somewhat negative social experience going to college early as a young teen full-time student back in the 50's and seems to have trouble realizing the two situations have nothing in common. I thought about that today when my daughter said that about half her English class at the community college is made up of high schoolers.