Menu

Looking for a literature program

EKS

I am looking for a literature program (or literature guides) for my 6 yo who is working across the board on a 3rd grade level and reads at a 6th grade level. It needs to be secular and to use only whole books. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I am looking for a literature program (or literature guides) for my 6 yo who is working across the board on a 3rd grade level and reads at a 6th grade level. It needs to be secular and to use only whole books. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

We are using Kolbe's Literature Program. It is very thorough.

Kolbe is Catholic, but there are many choices for the books if you are not. It's also a bit pricey.

Mosdos Press (pricey), Lightning Lit 7 (this is appropriate for a 6th reader), Reading Detective books by Critical Thinking Press (a fav. of my boys. Covers main idea, vocab, inference, etc. LOVE it!), K12, What Your _ Needs to Know books by Core knowledge.

What I have done is use a reading list and had my guys do book reports. Many lists abound. Ambelside Online, The Good Books list at Great Books Academy, K12, (you have to look at the course description for the grade you want and scroll down)

HTH!

Mosdos Press (pricey), Lightning Lit 7 (this is appropriate for a 6th reader), Reading Detective books by Critical Thinking Press (a fav. of my boys.

In fact he did read two of them (Tom Sawyer and Alice). I'm glad we left doing the programme until a bit later though: he has been more able to get the full benefit of it at age 10/11.

FWIW we didn't do much in the way of literature study until he was about ten - before that he just read lots of good books.

Best wishes

Laura