Menu

Supplement to Miquon

Calizzy

DD will be starting 3rd grade this fall. We have been using Miquon since we started 1st grade and love it. We also do flashcard drills for facts. I am looking at adding a word problem supplement. I am thinking either Singapore challenging word problems or Life of Fred. Any suggestions which would be better?

If you have time on your hands you could pick through MEP. It is available free on the web. There are word problems in the teacher pages and solutions to the word problems in the student pages (so looking at the teacher pages would tell you what problems are available and what tools they expect the students to use when solving them).

Also, if you are planning to move on to BA you could probably start alternating the two programs, rather than add in another piece to shuffle. I am planning to make this step with my dd this year.

CWP are very challenging. You might also want to look at Process Skills. You can find it on SM website and at RR. The first half of each book takes you through word problems with step by step examples (more help for kid -- and parent -- than regular SM or CWP). The second half of each book is logic problems. Also with step by step examples.

SM uses a bar model method for word problems, so it is a nice complement to Miquon's Cuisenaire rods. Personally, I think it's nice to begin with real objects before the bar models in order to make sure that kids visualize the problem and don't randomly assign an operation to the numbers at hand. I know my dd has put 25 tomatoes in 125 boxes instead of 5 boxes, lol.

Edited by Alessandra