Menu

Book suggestions please!

moonlight

Book suggestions needed for an almost 10 year old boy that reads at about a 3rd/4th grade level. They have to be high interest and fairly short, probably no more than 150 pages or so. I have a good list of audio books for him to listen to for the year, but I need a good list for him to read too!

Here are the ones I have on the list so far:

James and the Giant Peach

Pleasing the Ghost

Redwall (graphic novel) Not sure how I feel about a graphic novel version of this book. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I thought I might follow it up with the audio version of the book. 

The Chocolate Touch

Goblins in The Castle

The Cricket in Times Square

Thanks!

The One and Only Ivan. The page count is a little longer, but the text is sparse and set with lots of blank space and there are some illustrations. A good, thoughtful book that's also on the easy reading end.

If you'd like to do a graphic novel that's a work in its own right, El Deafo was excellent. It won a Newbery Honor. Very easy to read, but plenty of issues to discuss. However, the gn of Redwall was decent, IIRC. Following it up with the audiobook is a great way in for a more complex work.

Some other things on the shorter, easier end that you might consider:

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Frindle

Because of Winn-Dixie

The Lemonade War (this series was extra popular with my kids and is extra easy and pretty good for what it is)

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

The Whipping Boy

The books on your list are fantastic but most of them are going to be challenges for him at his current reading level. I would balance out with easier, "fun" books for practice and speed that he can choose, maybe.

Would you be ok with the Wayside School books? They're on target in terms of reading level, very entertaining with short chapters that move. 

Also: 

Time Warp Trio books by Jon Scieszka (pretty much everything he writes is really boy friendly and at the 3-4 grade reading level)

The Mouse and the Motorcycle 

The Hank ZIpzer Books

Encyclopedia Brown

The Young Merlin Trilogy by Jane Yolen

Edited to Add: I have a friend whose 4th grade boy is LOVING the Shivers the Pirate who's afraid of everything books. 

Edited by cabritadorada
  • Like 1

I have "The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease and it has great suggestions in it for reading lists. You might be able to check it out of your library. Also, my daughter loves the Little House on the Prairie series. I think the first few- Little House in the Big Woods, On the Banks of Plum Creek and By the Shores of Silver Lake would be about that reading level. Also Farmer Boy is that reading level as well. While they are more than 150 pages, the language is very simple and they are quite engaging. You might give one of the books a try just to see.

As for graphic novels, my daughter absolutely loves the TinTin series by Herge. There's also a movie called "The Adventures of TinTin". We loved it. She loves mysteries so this was a fun series for her. 

The books that I have listed are right about at his reading level. Are they not a 3rd/4th grade reading level??

They're mostly high-end of 4th Grade level by the scholastic reading level measure. If he's comfortably reading James and the Giant Peach and The Cricket in Times Square I have more book options to recommend (I have to go pull up my list)--the ones I listed are mostly mid-3rd grade reading level. 

:)