Menu

Engineering Themed Resources

razzles

I just had a really sweet chat with my almost 7 year old about what she would like to do more of this following year. I have most of our curriculum loosely planned for the following year but it was great to hear her own goals and preferences. She even asked to read a story to her baby brother each night to practice her reading [emoji7]

Anyway, one thing she asked about was to learn more about how things are made- houses, cars, bridges etc. And to learn how to make more things- like tracks in minecraft with logic buttons (I have no idea! Her older, male, cousin is into this).

We already have a pretty full schedule and I don't want to kill her interest by scheduling in this subject, but I'd love to have more resources on hand to encourage her.

What would your recommendations be to encourage these creative/engineering type interests early on?

I'm thinking that my husband can help her with some minecraft on their "date nights" or her days doing homeschool with him. We already do Lego but maybe it would be helpful to give her some time without the little ones around to interrupt her. I've seen sets that have special moving parts, so that could be an idea.

What have your kids enjoyed?

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple easy things my DS5 (and older DS9) have really enjoyed, that are inexpensive and relevant:

David Maculey book on how machines work:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Machines-Work-Zoo-Break/dp/1465440127/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470850728&sr=8-2&keywords=zoo+break+book

Klutz crazy contraptions book and parts set:  

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=crazy+contraptions

Robot Turtles Programming game.  LEGO Technic sets, the smaller ones run around $20.

We give these things often as gifts.  I'd start with these types of things as free play choices and if she responds well and enjoys them, then think about getting some bigger sets or more in depth resources.

The picture book "Rosie Revere, Engineer" sends a good message (and is about a female engineer). Also check out "The Most Magnificent Thing" and "What do you do with an Idea?". They aren't instruction books about building things, but they are all books for future inventors and engineers to show the value in perseverance and creativity.

We have had great success with the Klutz Crazy Contraptions book (we bought three more during a sale just to get more pieces) and a LEGO We-Do set (which you can combine with the Klutz book pieces).

Magnatiles have been well loved at our house. They are a magnetic building toy.

We have a bin (which has expanded to several bins...) of interesting recycled materials and parts. We gave Ds his own tape, glue, needle and thread, etc. and this bin, and he will make things for hours. Any time we throw something out we ask ourselves if parts of it should go in the project bin.

K'nex makes a great bridge building set. The smaller set is just fine (the large one is $$$).

Snap circuits make a nice Christmas gift.

The David Macauley book listed above is great (as is his New Way Things Work). Usborne has a See Inside series that is excellent for seeing how things work. There is a See Inside How Things Work, but there is also See Inside Inventions, See Under the Ground, and many others that will show how things work.

The science kits from Science Wiz come with all the materials and are not overly complicated. There is an inventions kit, but physics or energy would also be good ones.

• Like 1

If you want curriculum for it there is the Engineering is Elementary series, which is $$$ also for the teaching units (designed for classroom). Their story books linked with each unit are very cool, you could try getting a couple of those to start maybe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Chiming in with the LEGO Technic sets. We are a huge LEGO family and can spend days building. LEGO Education has curriculum sets if, in the future, you want to include it in your structured schooling.

LittleBits - they are a magnetic snap circuit kit but pricier than the Elenco brand

Tinker Crate - STEM project subscription service but you have the option to buy single kits. The kits come with a project to build with supplemental reading to explain the concepts. Tinker Crates have a 9-16 age recommendation, Kiwi Crates are for ages 5-8. Don't let the age rec deter you from trying the Tinker Crate if you or your husband want to be actively involved in helping your daughter understand new concepts. DD loves anything that comes in the mail for her so it gives her something to look forward to every month.

Chibitronics - LED circuits that you build with conductive tape and LED stickers. They have kits where you can make light up cards and drawings.

ScratchJr. - free coding app, you just drag and drop modular commands to make little animations. It's amusing for the kids to make silly sequences and amazing at how quickly they can pick up on coding without actually having to script.

Da Vinci Bridge - your daughter expressed interest in bridges, she can build her own! If you google this you can get an idea on how to build your own using popsicle/craft sticks (nothing else needed).

You could do little projects with her...build a skateboard, build a pinhole camera, build a marble run, build a simple ramp and roll as many things down in a race, make a pulley system with household items and lift things over the dining chairs (canned foods not recommended for this, ask me how I know this). Watch "How It's Made" to see how specific things are made. We are plenty happy with just the free play to explore and be comfortable with "testing" things out. Enjoy!

Side note, that is so sweet that your daughter wants to read to baby brother!

Edited by Hammfried
  • Like 1

A tinker box--random things that are safe for her to 'create new things' with. How things are made books. From start to finish books (i.e., tomato to ketchup, sheep to sweater, etc.). Give her old appliances, remotes & whatnot that can be taken apart so she can see inside them & how they work. Marble maze game--thinking skills development. Jenga & Suspend games. How Its Made episodes. 3D puzzles. Maker kits (i.e., wind-up robots, catapult, etc.). Check out local construction sites & track their progress. On-the-spot 'Google it' sessions when questions arise. Model with clay, play-doh, etc. Camp Invention is a killer summer camp that my kid still talks about 2 years later. Roominate kits. STEM programs & open labs at public libraries.

Edited by Earthmerlin