Menu

Does anyone have the Hamilton soundtrack..

bettyandbob

I was thinking of getting it. I haven't heard it. There are two versions. One is explicit.

As a person who sometimes uses bad language, how explicit is this. If I play it in my car, should I be concerned that my ds who has apraxia will pick up the most special words to add to his vocabulary?

I hate getting edited things.

I actually had borrowed the version NOT labeled explicit through Hoopla, which we get free from our library system and it didn't have anything edited- same exact thing as the one with the explicit label.

I LOOOOVE the soundtrack! I also don't want my kids repeating some of the swears or innuendo, so I either turn down the volume at the appropriate time or skip certain songs. There are definitely a few of the usual swears that would have to be bleeped on network TV, but I let my 7 & 9 year-olds listen to a lot of it. 

Edit:
You can preview on YouTube before buying:

Edited by lamppost

We have been listening to it free as a part of our amazon prime subscription, and yes it is the explicit version. Seems like the worst phrase is "son of a wh#re, but it is in the first 30 seconds of the first song. I might have missed some more. There is also flirting/ innue do between Alexander and Eliza, but no explicit language. Nothing my 12 year old cannot handle, but with apraxia, I would say be conservative and get the clean version.

It's free on Amazon prime streaming. You can download and play it whenever.

From a random website, but this seems accurate from my recollection:

My Shot: â€Britain keeps sh*ttin' on us endlessly.â€

Right Hand Man: “Watch the blood and the sh*t spray.â€

The Story of Tonight (Reprise): “She’s married to a British officer…†“Oh sh*t…â€

Stay Alive: “He sh*ts the bed at the Battle of Monmouth.â€

The Battle of Yorktown: “We in the sh*t now, somebody’s gotta shovel. Hercules Mulligan, I need no introduction, when you knock me down I get the f*ck back up again.â€

Cabinet Battle #1: “Sitting there useless as two sh*ts…â€

Washington on Your Side: “Let’s show these Federalists what they’re up against: southern motherf*ckin’ Democratic Republicans.â€

Blow Us All Away: “If you had only heard the sh*t he said about you, I doubt you would have let it slide and I was not about to.â€

The Election of 1800: “John Adams shat the bed.â€

The song where he has the affair with Mrs. Reynolds isn't explicit and no cursing, but it's very obvious what's happening using drawn out "yesssss" and "noooooo" etc. ("Say No to This") There's an almost curse word that stops midway ("fuuuuuu...") in the Reynolds Pamphlet song. There's a line that says "it's hard to have intercourse over 4 sets of corsets" then "no more sex for me" in one of the early songs whose title is escaping me at the moment. ("Aaron Burr, Sir") Also in that song is "up in it, loving it, yes I heard your mother say 'Come again!'

Edited by zoobie

There are maybe a dozen or so swear words in it. I think the worst is "mother-f****ing Democratic-Republicans!" but there are a few others in that vein. Hercules Mulligan... "you knock me down, I get the f*** back up again!" There's also the song where he begins the affair with Maria Reynolds and it's pretty sex focused.

I'd get the real version. It's not like there are swears everywhere. Mostly the lyrics are extremely clever and thoughtful. But if you're not okay with your kids repeating them or hearing them, get the censored version.

• Like 1

We have been listening to it free as a part of our amazon prime subscription, and yes it is the explicit version. Seems like the worst phrase is "son of a wh#re, but it is in the first 30 seconds of the first song. I might have missed some more. There is also flirting/ innue do between Alexander and Eliza, but no explicit language. Nothing my 12 year old cannot handle, but with apraxia, I would say be conservative and get the clean version.

There are definitely more swears than that, a few f-bombs, and at least one m-f, variations of s#!t about 10 times, lyrics like, "lock up your daughters and horses, of course it's hard to have intercourse over four sets of corsets", and then of course the whole adultery song. All of which my kids would certainly repeat at the most embarrassing possible time if I let them hear those parts. 

Edit:

Ah, I see we're all typing at the same time.

Edited by lamppost

I never swear in front of my kids. I listen to the explicit version aaaallllllllllll the time with my 6 and 8 year old. All the time. We love it. My youngest can sing big hunks of it by memory. It is incredible .

The curse words don't really register. I don't think he hears words he doesn't know. He heard this lyric wrong because it didn't make sense to him:

'I never thought I'd live past 20 / where I come from some get half as many. '. He asked me why they get 'half his money'. Because I don't think the real line made sense to him as a little kid.

If you are concerned then preview first. 

My kids are funny, they know the whole thing by heart (and I mean the WHOLE THING) but self censor. I don't bother.

It did get a little weird at a 10 year olds birthday party to have the whole table start singing "how does a bastard, orphan, son of whore and Scottsman dropped..."  That made me crack up.  Every single kid knew the words.

• Like 1