Menu

Is this too much? What should go?

Wabi Sabi

I have an almost 12 year old 6th grader who took a WTMA history class (Ancients) last year. This year he is enrolled in two classes: the continuation of history (Middle Ages) and Expository Writing. In an ideal world, I'd like for him to continue so that he finishes the entire four year history cycle by the time he is ready for high school. He did well in the class last year, and while he didn't LOVE it and had some minor criticisms about it, he did find it interesting and he learned a lot, and he wants to continue with the next class largely because it will be with many of the same friends he made in last year's class. 

However, another class with a different online provider that we were waitlisted for just had an opening: History of Science. I think he would love it, but like starting the 4 year history cycle with WTMA, I know that once we start I'd want to continue with that entire series (3 years) as well. 

I'm just not sure if trying to them both would be too much, especially in addition to the writing class. My gut (and wallet) tells me to stick with the two WTMA classes, and leave well enough alone, but my heart really thinks he would get  a lot out of the History of Science course, and it's not something I think I could teach well myself. 

In addition Expository Writing, Middle Ages and possible the History of Science classes he'll be doing math, piano, grammar, spelling, and weekly tutoring with his foreign language tutor. I was also planning on a couple more Ellen McHenry science units this year, but I would let those go if we decide to do the History of Science class. 

Thoughts? What would you keep and if you could only choose one of the two history classes, which would it be?