Menu

Writing: Something more than copy work and dictation?

I'm looking for a writing program or supplement for my writing phobic son. He's so phobic, that I consider it a good day if I get one full original sentence from him. We've got WWE, and I alternate with WriteShop Junior, which I love. But I think he would benefit from some very explicit instruction in what a sentence is, and how to write one. Then paragraphs, and so on. I've looked at Killgallon, and was set to buy it until I saw examples from further into the book. I think it might get to be too much for him. I've also looked at TC, but it seems to be heavy on paragraphs and not so much on the more basic elements of a sentence. Any suggestions?

ETA: He'll be ten this Fall, starting 4th grade.

Edited by give_me_a_latte

I'm looking for a writing program or supplement for my writing phobic son. He's so phobic, that I consider it a good day if I get one full original sentence from him. We've got WWE, and I alternate with WriteShop Junior, which I love. But I think he would benefit from some very explicit instruction in what a sentence is, and how to write one. Then paragraphs, and so on. I've looked at Killgallon, and was set to buy it until I saw examples from further into the book. I think it might get to be too much for him. I've also looked at TC, but it seems to be heavy on paragraphs and not so much on the more basic elements of a sentence. Any suggestions?

ETA: He'll be ten this Fall, starting 4th grade.

Writing Strands. It's in non-threatening increments, bit by bit. It doesn't focus on paragraphs but on learning how to actually write. There are no checklists, no rules about how many rough drafts there must be, or how many sentences in a paragraph, which must begin with an opening sentence and end with a closing sentence and have [insert favorite number of] supporting sentences. Over time, children do learn to do paragraphs, but that is not the emphasis. Yes, Level Three begins with learning what a sentence is. :-)

There's also Understanding Writing, which teaches children to learn first by writing letters. It is very good learning to use good, descriptive nouns and verbs instead of a endless adjectives and adverbs.

Sharon Watson's Jump In is a solid option. This teaches the students to work using the writing process, not just dictation and imitation.

https://writingwithsharonwatson.com/jump-in/

Also, you might want to check out Dianne Craft's Right Brain Paragraph Writing Video. I just watched mine and it has made such a difference with my students!

http://www.diannecraft.org/language-arts-writing-program/

http://store-2a930.mybigcommerce.com/writing-problems/

My opinion is that writing programs usually don't work.

Here's my recommendation...

Have him write one sentence about something he learned.  The prompt might be something like "Tell me about...the Civil War, the New Deal, Hitler's rise to power, whatever"  Or for science:  "Tell me about...levers, gravity, magnets, electricity...whatever."

Once he is comfortable writing one sentence, have him write two, then three, then a whole paragraph, then two paragraphs, and so on.  (If he doesn't yet type, I'd also work on that.)

If he were my kid, I'd be thrilled if he could write a coherent paragraph at the end of the year.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2