Menu

Can I do geometry before algebra?

Almost all geometry programs are designed to be done after algebra or at the very least concurrently. It is possible that it might work if you have a highly talented student who is good at intuiting algebra, but I would recommend against it. 

Is there a reason you want to do this?

• Like 1

We did it with both of our kids.  It can be done very succesfully, but few programs are designed in this direction - you will have to compensate as the teacher.  You should, as mentioned above, be clear as to why you would wish to take this approach.  Then, it would be easier to give advice.

Also, the strength of the pre-algebra program really matters.  AoPS pre-algebra is enough to prep for most geometry programs.  TT is not (nothing against TT - it just doesn't cover everything sufficiently - yet).

Fwiw, Saxon blends the two into a contiguous delivery.  I'm not particularly fond of Saxon, but it does provide an example of how it can be done.  Other programs require little more than pre-algebra, but the teacher has to know the material far better (e.g., Kiselev). 

OP, I looked at a few more of your posts. If this is the child who is struggling so badly with algebra, I do not think that I'd go for geometry instead. 

I would honestly recommend a tutor to work with her on integrated pre-algebra and algebra if you can possibly swing one. She needs someone to sit with her while she does math and stop her immediately when she makes a mistake, because she has clearly ingrained incorrect concepts. Backing up to work on pre-algebra concepts would be worthwhile as well.

If you can't get a tutor, MUS might be worthwhile, or with a child who is struggling this badly I might seriously consider Power Basics Algebra and then Geometry. These are programs that are specifically designed to get struggling students the credits they need for graduation. 

As to how to transcript it, I would call 9th grade Algebra A and 10th grade Algebra B if she can finish Algebra 1 over those two years. 

• Like 6

Real high school geometry comes after algebra. If your child does not have algebra before geometry, then it will be clear your child skipped over the algebraic parts of geometry. In which case, it will just be the geometry topics from arithmetic, which is not really high school geometry. 

Real high school geometry comes after algebra. If your child does not have algebra before geometry, then it will be clear your child skipped over the algebraic parts of geometry. In which case, it will just be the geometry topics from arithmetic, which is not really high school geometry.

Not sure if I follow? I haven't seen any geometry programs that I wouldn't consider "real."

Programs like Kiselev - which doesn't require algebra - can be extremely challenging. That one, in particular, introduces many algebraic topics from a geometric perspective, which is precisely why it is one of the best out there. I just can't recommend it to most parents because it requires the parent to be highly adept with geometry (think: competitive).

Regardless, I think the consensus is clear: don't try to tweak the basic math sequence unless you feel qualified to assemble your own curriculum, because you will have to.