Menu

2016 Math Contest Camp

igbu

Just a shout out to Dr. Hopkin's Math Contest Camp at SBU in MI. Our two mathgeeks really enjoyed their week and are looking forward to returning next year. as our first sleep away camp, I volunteered this year in order to be nearby, we were thoroughly impressed with the camp. Here's a link that includes a daily schedule and various online resources:

https://sites.google.com/site/sbumathcon/math-contest-camp-2016

It is in MO (Missouri). They also tried a Computer Science week for the first time this year. Not sure how that went as my dd opted to do Math Camp instead.

My oldest has gone three years now and loved it every time. They do a placement test the first day to put your kid in a group that will (hopefully) suitably challenge them. It is based on old math contest questions, not a typical placement test.

It is openly Christian, being held at a Baptist U, but dd didn't find it overly preachy. They seem to keep a pretty close eye on the kids. There is plenty of outside/physical activity during the week. There are Wii, chess, and Set tournaments as well as lots of card playing in the evenings.

Edited by RootAnn