Menu

OT/VT at home for dysgraphia

So what was the neuropsych's take on the handwriting issue?  How old was he at that eval?  Labels evolve or become more apparent over time, yes, but if that was in the last 3-5 years surely a neuropsych could have diagnosed DCD, mercy.  I don't know, sometimes those psychs really disgust me.  They get tons of money, and when they screw up and get it wrong, it's a real problem!

• Like 1

They were done in 2013 and 2015.  His diagnosis is for ASD, ADD Inattentive, Language Delay, Low Processing Speed and Dysgraphia.  The ASD diagnosis made no sense to me because of all my kiddos he is the most emphatic, he has no behavioral issues and gets along fine socially.  It was based on the fact that while he answered all questions in a polite and focused manner, he did not ask questions of his own.  I am also clueless where the language delay comes from at that age unless it refers to the delay between someone asking a question and him offering the answer (I think that is due to his low processing speed).  Yes, he was a late talker and had speech therapy when he was 4 for stuttering as well as a delay with receptive speech. However, on both tests all his language related scores are in the 95th to 98th percentile.  He scored high on the Critical Reading and Writing part on the PSAT in 9th grade and did well on the math section.  He gets A's in foreign language and English classes, he is bilingual. He was on a debate team, did mock trial and was a member of the Toast Masters.  I am really scratching my head here.

The 2015 (private practice, well, hospital) report only mentions that he would benefit from accommodations on tests due to his illegible handwriting and low processing speed.  

The 2013 (school) report states that "even though his scores for visual-motor integration, fine motor integration and sensory sensitivities present as deficits they do not seem to impact educational progress as his standardized test scores are in the above average range (he usually scored near perfect on the tests, his grades were all over the place depending on the teacher but were getting lower with each year)  He shows possible signs of dysgraphia due to illegible handwriting, inappropriate letter formation, inappropriate size of letters in same paragraph, improper spacing between letters, inability to write in a straight line or stay on line or stay within borders, abnormal hand position, tiring easily while writing, applying abnormal pressure while writing, refusal to write with a pen."  Consider implementation of a 504 for extended time and adaptive technology for writing tasks.  The 504 was set up but then we moved and where we moved to it was either you homeschool or you go to PS so it was not really needed.  Now however we are in a place where he can take classes at the local high school and I will try to revive the 504.

The last OT eval was done in 2013 but since his educational progress was not impacted as per the report, he did not qualify for OT in spite of the deficits. I tried to go through private OT but our insurance wouldn't pay since his issues were not the result of an accident or illness.  He also had a PT evaluation but was deemed not to need services.  We had worked hard on gross motor all his life so while he is no graceful swan, I am happy with where he is in that area. Same with the sensory issues, still picky and avoidant about many things but he can get through life with where he is at.  The most concerning issue there were food textures that made eating an almost intolerable task which led to being grossly underweight. He tolerates many more foods now and his weight is catching up.  

I am not worried about academic success, every-day-life is my worry.  He is more than welcome to live in our non-existent basement but I would prefer he can lead an independent life and keep a job.

Now what you're saying actually makes sense.  A certain amount of dyspraxia is assumed under the ASD.  Just to be clear, you're saying he did not qualify for ps OT?  That makes sense.  But did you try private?  He could definitely do private OT, mercy.  I can't fathom an OT not wanting to work with him.  At our ASD charter school, handwriting is one of the big things the OTs work on!  It's a common issue!

Is it possible that his behaviors are so normal in your family that you don't notice them as ASD?  Really, a hospital would not have diagnosed a 16/17 yo with ASD without it being there.  They just wouldn't have.  I've heard stories of hospitals going the other direction, but to label ASD and have it not be there, no way.  You probably filled out a GARS or Vineland or other questionaires.  There's another we did.  Without a doubt you did.  They would have had multiple pieces going together to get there.

My ds has an ASD diagnosis, btw.

Your last sentence is that you're worried about him living independently.  You're unpacking a lot of stuff here.  You've mentioned handwriting, language, and now independence living and ability to hold a job.  What of that do you want to talk about and work on?  I think those are important issues if you want to talk about them on the board.  What are you doing for them and what would you like to make happen?

Highest concentration of ASD in the country is at MIT, or at least that's what people tell me.  :D  There's really not this definite correlation like ASD=flop at learning.  I think it's sort of the opposite, that their intensity lets them funnel into things in a way that academia values.  They're more likely to get PhDs and fit in there.  But the social skills, adaptive living skills, perspective taking skills, language skills, these are really important too!  They kind of make life good along the way.

What you might do is start a new thread and label it ASD in 17 yo or something like that and just talk with people about what they're doing on those issues.  There are other people here who've been in that boat, and they would see your discussion that way. 

• Like 1

If your child cannot sign his name on a sheet of paper, how is his ed progress NOT affected?  These a^%&*^%holes.  I don't get it!

Forget that.  I know the answer.  It is because he is 2e.

Our member Lecka is a military spouse and her babies are getting services.  I wonder how they qualified for services?  

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

Ha!  It's hubby's fault (he is a MIT grad) :tongue_smilie:   In all reality, he will probably be fine but I have worried over him his entire life, it is a hard habit to break.  I have these horror visions of crusty refrigerators and piles of dirty dishes in the sink because he doesn't want to touch them.  I doubt though he would be the only young dude who doesn't remember to occasionally wash out the fridge or mop the bathroom.  What I was saying was that he is more likely to show up late for class than fail it.  His first choice of major is computer science, but he also entertains certain types of engineering, urban design, political science or philosophy.  I think he has a pretty broad spectrum of interests here.  He may end up majoring in one and minoring in another.  He briefly thought about setting his sights on MIT and then decided he wanted a more relaxed college experience.  We will probably move to Hawaii next year, doesn't get much more relaxed than that.  

(I also worried about my oldest whether he would pay his rent on time, attend his lectures, remember to vacuum.  I can report that his apartment is reasonably clean, his landlord has not yet hounded us for back rent and he just achieved the first perfect score ever given out in a particular class.  (His university has a policy of not assigning 100% so this is an awesome achievement. Apparently he does go to class.)

All our kids were taught how to clean, cook, do laundry, shop, light sewing, some gardening, financial and other life skills. They all have them to varying degrees but do not necessarily think engaging in them is the best use of their time :sneaky2:

As for the OT, I tried private, Tricare didn't authorize it and we couldn't pay for it at the time. I have talked to his doctor at our current duty station but she wasn't willing to give him a referral instead suggested going through the school first.  I tried to be sneaky and schedule an eval directly with the OT/PT department but they wanted to see that referral.  I talked to the psychs and they said that since he has an ASD diagnosis, it must come through the school.  All ASD, no matter the age, is handled through the school.  I have an appointment with the school counselor in a few days so we will see what comes of that.  If that doesn't work, we will return stateside next year and can then tackle the private option again.  

Heathermonster, you know, I have read so many threads about 2e kids, it has never occurred to me he could be that because I don't see what I think of learning disabilities.  I am beginning to wonder though if I am defining learning disabilities wrong or if I have an incorrect idea of it all to begin with. I always thought of his issues as physical problems, akin to a person who has limited use of their body due to injury.

Oh Elizabeth, I will open another thread because I am stumped on the autism aspect (yes, we did fill out those surveys).  I really appreciate your insights.  You are right, maybe I just don't see it because I am used to it or because we all (our family) have a touch of it or because I have different cultural standards.

• Like 2