Menu

S/O: what green cleaners--homemade or bought do you use

to clean the toilets and other yucky jobs where you want to kill germs?

I've been using vinegar on the floors lately and like baking soda for scrubbing the sink.

But I always use bleach for the potty and such.

And I abuse the clorox wipes like there's no tomorrow (shame:o). It's a habit I'm having a hard time breaking now that I've been livin' the good life.:tongue_smilie:

And what kind of rag or cloth do you use when cleaning green in the bathroom? Do you wipe down the toilets with rags or paper towels?

Any green tips much appreciated!

We clean the loo with eucalyptus oil, and use vinegar and bicarb soda for virtually everything else. Don't worry so much about the toilet, unless your toddler or dog drinks out of it. I use ordinary kitchen cloths, and tie a knot in the one I use for the toilet. Clean toilet, and cloth goes into the next load of washing. That simple :)

Rosie

diluted tea tree oil is wonderful for killing germs.

I always wash floors with diluted vinegar.

I don't know about toilet..... still using chemicals.

I make my own laundry soup and LOVE it. It is gentle, leaves clothes smelling clean and good, and is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. I make 5 gallons of laundry soap at a time and it lasts months for my family of 6 who happily lives on a long dirt road, acreage AND farm. (all which equal DIRT, DIRT, DIRTY) :D

Laundry soap recipe:

ingredients:

1 bar Fels Naptha soap

1 can or box Arm and Hammer super washing soda

directions:

grate soap into sauce pan, just cover with water

heat on low stirring constantly until dissolved; remove from heat

pour 4 and 1/2 gallons hot tap water into 5 gallon bucket

add melted soap liquid

add 1 cup super washing soda , stir well

leave overnight

stir gel the following day and it is ready for use

use 1 cup per normal wash

facts:

okay with bleach and borax

no perfume smell

works very well

5 gallons costs 2$

lasts 3 months with 6 kids in the house

Vinegar, bulk essential oils (lavender, peppermint, fir needle, & tea tree), baking soda, salt, borax, Bac-Out by Biokleen (love this stuff...I even dilute it), Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds (love it!), Citra Solve (love it...very economical), washing soda.

Camy, can you share which products you share for what cleaning jobs?

Thanks!

Denise

I admit, I buy them. I love bathroom wipes for quick clean-ups but I get the Method ones. They fall apart like crazy but I guess that's the point. I am finishing up a giant jug of Ecos laundry soap and will never buy it again. It does a nice job cleaning clothes but it doesn't touch stains. If I miss one (and I always miss at least one) its still there after the wash. If I pretreat, pre-soak, wash in warm, stain cycle...its still there. If I do that whole thing twice...its still there. By then, how eco-friendly is it? I could have used another detergent and washed once in cold water.

Seventh Generation is better but I miss the heck out of Tide.

I recently switched all my cleaning products to Method. Even the laundry detergent. (I must say that the dishwashing pellets work better than any other dishwasher detergent I've ever used. Makes up for being a little more expensive.)

Everything sparkles and smells nice. I use the Method biodegradable wipes to clean the outside of the toilets. Microfiber cloths for all other surfaces.

However... once we have used up all the glass cleaner, I am going to re-fill those bottles with my homemade vinegar/water/tea tree oil mix. :) It works just as well (maybe even a bit better) and is much less expensive.

Occasionally I will get out the steam cleaner to blast the grout in the shower. As long as the steamer is out, I blast all the toilets as well. Between the Method products and the steam cleaner, I don't worry too much about germs.