Menu

The yummiest salad for those with lots of pears

I went to a dinner party last night and had the best salad. I'm not a huge fruit person, but this was so good, I was ready to lick the bowl.

Just mix fresh, ripe pears, crumbled goat cheese, pecans and raspberry vinaigrette. Let it sit for a few minutes to draw juice from the pears.

It is pure delight. I happened to have all the ingredients, so I'm eating it for lunch right now. YUM!

I went to a dinner party last night and had the best salad. I'm not a huge fruit person, but this was so good, I was ready to lick the bowl.

Just mix fresh, ripe pears, crumbled goat cheese, pecans and raspberry vinaigrette. Let it sit for a few minutes to draw juice from the pears.

It is pure delight. I happened to have all the ingredients, so I'm eating it for lunch right now. YUM!

That sounds incredible! I LOVE pears in salad, especially with the contrasting goat cheese (or bleu cheese works for this, also).

Pear salads are incredible with walnut or almond oil. Toasted walnut oil (I think Roland has it...the oil in the cans) is almost sinful on fruit salads. I like to put some chunks of red onion that I have soaked in water for 10 minutes, rinsed well and dried in, too. The soaking makes them not overwhelm the fruit.

If I feel really wild and want the pear salad to be the centerpeice, with good bread and a bit of soup,I take a nut oil, put in a heavy pan like a small crueset pot, simmer some walnut halves in it until browned, pour off the oil (and use it in the dressing), then cook a little cayenne and brown sugar onto the walnuts in a moderate oven. This can be done ahead of time. Let everything cool. Toss some spring greens or yuppie chow with this and pear cubes and chunks of feta. WOW. A tip of the hat to the crazy cook I met in Brooklyn Heights who taught me the nut trick.