Menu

Vitamin regimen?

Seasider

I have slacked off taking vitamin supplements but would like to get back into the habit. Things I need to take include a D supplement, EFAs, a multivitamin and a probiotic. I will also add B12 and probably a biotin supplement.

Do you pay attention to what time of day you take each thing, and what you combine it with?

Yes, I do time my vitamins.

I take D with a high fat food. I take 50,000iu once a month to maintain levels. I take it sometime after the 1st of each month.  It may be the 2nd week before I remember, but I do take one each calendar month.

I take iron with OJ and away from my other vitamins.  I take iron for restless legs, so I don't take it daily but a few days a week.  If my legs get twitchy, I take it more often. I sometimes forget to take it for a couple of weeks, until my legs get twitchy LOL

I take a multivitmin (Rainbow Light Prenatal petite) in the morning due to wanting the boost from the B vitamins in the AM instead of when I am going to sleep.  I need a smaller vitamin, so I can swallow it (I gag).  I don't take 3 a day like it says, just whatever I can get down that morning, before I feel like I will gag.  Sometimes none...sometimes 3.  I varies greatly.  

I take Red Krill with my multi.  I take it for my Sjogrens to increase moisture.

I take sublingual Vitamin B12 at night before bed (it doesn't affect my sleep). I take this for restless legs too.  Like all the others, I am hit or miss with it.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

This is what I've read:

1. Vit D should be taken with some fat, so preferably with a large meal. You can take it with breakfast.
  2. Fish oil/EFA should be taken 20-30 mins before a meal. If your dosage is 2 capsules a day, then you can take them before lunch and before dinner.
  3. A multivitamin should be taken after meals so as to avoid heartburn that some of them cause. If you take a 2-a-day multivitamin, then take one after breakfast and after lunch each. Drink ample water with multivitamins and all day.
  4. A probiotic should be taken with a meal if you are taking it to aid digestion. It should be taken on an empty stomach if it is for a yeast infection or to counteract a course of antibiotics.

I haven't read anything about when to take B12 and Biotin. Since they are B vitamins, I suggest you take them earlier in the day with food.

I've also heard that you should take vitamin D3 with vitamins K1 and K2. Ideally, it should be taken in the morning or before going out into sunlight. Taking Vitamin D at night could interfere with your sleep. Here is a link to what I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006X7ZA6S/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is interesting. Thank you.

ETA: Do you have any info on the Vitamins K1 and K2, why they are necessary, why they should be taken with Vit D, etc.?

Edited by nansk