Menu

Help me think through what to do about my dog

Kim in Appalachia

We have a 14 year old beagle. We love this dog.  He is a member of our family. 

We are moving in a few weeks.  It will be 2 days of driving, a week staying at a friends, then will be at our new home.

I'm worried about my dog.

I worried because he is clearly failing in his health.  His left hind leg is weak. He can still get up on it and can walk, just not in a straight line, and he takes rest breaks to get across our house. 

His breathing is shallow, and at times he pants a lot (not because of heat). I know he's uncomfortable and in pain from arthritis. I give him something for it, but it doesn't seem to help much.

He's getting a bit paranoid (???) IF he happens to hear the mailman come to the door he goes nuts. Barking like crazy and we are unable to calm him down.  He also follows me around like a toddler (he's even been waiting for me outside of the bathroom!). He never did this before.  At times he barks at me for leaving the room. 

I took him to the vet this past week.  On Thursday he seemed like he was in so much discomfort in the morning, that I called the vet and took him in.  The vet just said that he is old.

2 months ago he had a seizure. I saw it happen outside, right at our back door.  He has not had another one, not that anyone has seen.  But at times, while sleeping, he trembles and shakes a lot.  

I've debated having him put down.  My kids will be devastated (so will I) which will be compounded by the fact that we are moving.

I worried that the stress of the move will kill him anyway.

I can't decide.  He still enjoys being with the family.  He still gets around fine.  He has no bathroom problems.  

How/When you you decide that it's time if there is no clear cut issue?  I mean, if he couldn't get up on his own, or started not being able to make it outside then it would be easy.

Help me think through this.  This is so difficult.  I truly love this dog. On Thursday I couldn't stop crying because I thought he was really done.  He perked up by the end of the day and has been sort of ok since. 

Honestly...I would give him a chance to get through the move. I know if it was me, the guilt of putting him down if it wasn't 100% a quality of life issue would eat at me.

We had an old dog when we moved 1500 miles in 2014. He absolutely loved his family. He adapted fine, and we had another almost year before we lost him last Summer.

I would take him with me. Make him comfortable, keep him with you on a leash so he feels safer. He may be picking up the moving stress from folks around him.

How do you decide? I took my last dog in to be put down when she lots all her bladder control due to cancer And was clearly in pain. Before that, she was tottering around, but clearly happy to spend time with us and not in pain beyond being achy in the mornings.

Sorry you are dealing with the, OP. Hugs!

I wouldn't put him down. If it were me, I would be holding him in my lap as my husband drove. If you both will be driving in separate cars, have one of your kids hold him or ait next to him and put him on a pillow. There are calming herbs which may help him.

I know this sounds crazy but the week at friends? I would put him in a doggy stroller and keep him close by for his comfort. I do this for my blind dog.

He is following you around and barking when you walk out of the room because, IMO, he knows his tume is running out, or somethibg is up, and he needs you by for security. I have had this happen with many dogs. I hope after the week at the friends you can give him a fairly calm and quiet space.

I do believe you will know when it is time. It doesn't sound like ut is right now. What arenyou giving him for the arthritis and pain?

You might ask the vet if you can give her dramamine (over the counter) or doggie valium or whatever they prescribe for anxiety.

Many years ago, we gave our dog dramamine for a cross-country drive, and she slept the entire trip.

Edited by trulycrabby

I wouldn't put him down. If it were me, I would be holding him in my lap as my husband drove. If you both will be driving in separate cars, have one of your kids hold him or ait next to him and put him on a pillow. There are calming herbs which may help him.

I know this sounds crazy but the week at friends? I would put him in a doggy stroller and keep him close by for his comfort. I do this for my blind dog.

He is following you around and barking when you walk out of the room because, IMO, he knows his tume is running out, or somethibg is up, and he needs you by for security. I have had this happen with many dogs. I hope after the week at the friends you can give him a fairly calm and quiet space.

I do believe you will know when it is time. It doesn't sound like ut is right now. What arenyou giving him for the arthritis and pain?

We're staying at our friend's, so he will be with us. I'm not leaving him there.    

You might ask the vet if you can give her dramamine (over the counter) or doggie valium or whatever they prescribe for anxiety.

Many years ago, we gave our dog dramamine for a cross-country drive, and she slept the entire trip.

I have been planning to give him something.  The vet told me to drop by before we go and he'll give me some pills to give him so he sleeps.

I think it will best to take him.  If he is suffering from dementia, there are drugs that can help.  My former dog was put on one of these and he got better, not just not getting worse as they seem to do with humans.  He had a nice life for about six more months.  He had heart condition too so he probably died from that,

If he still enjoys life, don't put him down just because you are moving. Keep him close to you, reassure him, and work to make his new routine (at the new place) as close to his old routine as you can. Have your family plan on spending extra time with him while he adjusts to the new place.