Menu

Can someone tell me about Kitchenaid mixers?

I see them mentioned on these boards frequently as an indispensable kitchen tool for kneading bread, and ? I'm not sure what else? What do you use yours for? And, how much do they cost? I would love to make our own bread, so if it would make it easier and it's not too expensive I thought I might ask for it for Christmas (since my mom usually makes me think of something for her to buy me), but I'm sort of afraid to find out the price. Are they really expensive?

Well, I've got the commercial model. It was the top of the line 14 years ago when I got it for a wedding present. It's the only applicance I have that has made it that long.

I use mine at least weekly. There isn't a dough this thing can't handle. You'll still have to hand knead your bread at the end but it's bread. It's fun to do that.

I got my mom one because I love mine so much and she hated it. She hated how heavy it was. I love how heavy it is but to each, their own!

Jen

DH bought me the cheapest, lowest end model at Zellers for Christmas last year. I think it was on sale for around $200 C. I didn't want to spend too much money on an appliance that I wasn't sure I'd use but come to find out, I use my KA 3 - 4 times a week. Pancakes, muffins, bread, pizza dough . . . it has made my kitchen life much easier.

If you're at all "kitchen-y" then a KA is indispensable. I'm very pleased that I have one and would consider upgrading to a bigger, more powerful appliance in the next few years.

HTH's,

Tricia

DH and I both had them when we married. I shipped mine to a friend who had always wanted one, and DH's is still going strong after some 20 years. I also use it 2-4 times a week. It's great for bread, but you can only do 2 loves at a time. For more than that, you have to spend more $$$ and go with a Bosch or such.

For kneading dough, the Bosch wins hands down. It does all the kneading, which is very important to me, since my thumbs/wrists can't handle the work. For multi-purpose work, and if I could do some of the dough kneading, I might go with the KA. Especially if cost were a factor. But I do really like the Bosch.

Jennifer

We use ours almost daily. Like one of the other posters, I have the large professional model. We use it to make cookies, mashed potatoes, whipped cream, knead bread....you name it. I cook everything from scratch, so my KA mixer and my KA food processor are used almost daily...sometimes multiple times per day.

Expect to pay anywhere from $200 - $400.

Ria

I've had mine for 5 years and use it for pizza dough, cookies, cakes, and bread dough. (Mine was a gift because the price tag was beyond my comfort zone.) Turns out it is one of the gifts I'm still using years later.:D

Kohl's has some excellent sales as well as Walmart. I actually saw one model for under $160. They last for just about forever, making the $ investment worth it. I no longer bother with a hand mixer and there are lots of goodie attachments you can get. Watch for the holiday sales.:001_smile:

For kneading dough, the Bosch wins hands down. It does all the kneading, which is very important to me, since my thumbs/wrists can't handle the work. For multi-purpose work, and if I could do some of the dough kneading, I might go with the KA. Especially if cost were a factor. But I do really like the Bosch.

Jennifer

I've had the Heavy Duty KA model for about 18 years and although I do really like it, I got a Bosch last year and it's definitely much better for kneading bread. My KA just couldn't handle the multiple loaves like the Bosch does. So if making bread is one of the most important things you'd like to do, I'd probably recommend the Bosch over the KA.