Menu

n/a

mom1234

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually looking at this curriculum recently. Sansu seems to be a recent publication so that may be why not many of your homeschooling contacts have heard of it (Japanese math or even the predecessor set of English translation of Japanese math - Tokyo Shoseki texts and Kyoiku Dojinsha workbooks - might sound more familiar). We actually picked up a couple of math workbooks (published by Gakken) from our local bookstore that utilize the same Japanese math techniques (i.e., demonstrative use of the same counter and block manipulatives, number bonds, etc). I have never used the Kyoiku Dojinsha math workbooks but I am guessing that the Gakken books are very similar in aesthetic. The main thing is that the Gakken books are in Japanese (they also include stickers for some of the math activities as well as a reward for completing all pages, and an activity dry erase page at the end for practice). Although we can translate the workbooks fine, they are more for supplementing. I wanted to get an actual curriculum to flesh out the learning topics further. Which led me to looking up Sansu...

Do you have both of the Sansu 1A and 1B teacher guides? I was thinking of picking up one of the guides to look through before committing to both guides. We were planning on using Singapore math as our main curriculum but I cannot seem to resist reading up on more programs. Singapore seems to have similar topics in their scope just in a different order from Sansu.

Edited by Hammfried

To be fair, we have only used 1st grade and I've looked ahead to 2nd grade, I have no idea how the older grades are (I'd love to hear if anyone has used them!). And I don't have much to compare it to - we used RightStart for a little while but that's it.

Will you continue onto Grade 2? We found a few Japanese youtube videos showing demos with blocks related to Grade 1 & 2 level math. They are not Koyo's "Sansu Math" specifically but they show some use of the blocks used in Japan math. I'm going to go ahead and get the Grade 1 teacher's guides to read...you know...for research, lol. I'll compare it to Singapore since I already put an order in. My friend and I were discussing the differences from Japan math from US but it was difficult to compare because 1) its been so long since we were in primary school and 2) we have no idea how Common Core math is being taught in PS nowadays. She mentioned the soroban (abacus) too but that is taught separately from the regular curriculum. We did notice that multiplication and division seem to be introduced earlier in Singapore and Japan math than in the US. Singapore and Japan use a lot of visual grouping techniques for conceptual understanding of multiplication as opposed to rote memorization of times tables. It may be different now, as I have no other experience with any other math curriculum.

The only Asian math I have used is Japanese. As I was going through old ebook files I found some of a Japanese series I used a bit a few years ago. It was awkward that the main books only came in ebook and the workbooks only in hardcopy. And they were not cheap.

The Japanese scope and sequence is narrower than some of the other asian maths. And the whole country does the same page in every school. If the curriculum really doesn't work, it is fixed; it has to be.

I gravitate towards narrow curricula. I know I cannot do it all and won't even try. I need the authors to be aware of the reality of presenting material, instead of wanting to make a great looking book that cannot be finished.

The wifi signal I am on is weak. I can't really load the website. I don't know if this is an update of what I used or another publisher. Even different publishers have to follow the exact scope and sequence though. I like the scope and sequence just fine, but was just struggling with large files that froze my computer.

• 1 year later...

I teach at a Japanese immersion school that uses Sansu Math.  I'm just getting ready to start teaching it in 1st grade. I taught K last year and we use Singapore Math in our K program.  Since it's a school in the US, we do have to supplement a few things to follow the common core standards, but from what I can tell, the teachers like Sansu.  It's rather scripted for the teacher, which works well since the Japanese teacher and I alternate teaching in English and Japanese.

I'm glad to hear others like it too--and I agree, the pictures are adorable!

• mom1234 changed the title to n/a