Menu

Mathematics for a high-end math student

Thanks so much, guys, for all these comments and ideas.  DS has 4 hours today up at the university -- 1 lecture, 1 tutorial, and 2 hours study group.  So I will know more by tonight as to what this class will hold.  And I am sure I will have more questions.

My take away so far is that we need to change our goals for this class.  Goal is not to learn the math, but to manage the class and be able to approach the prof.  Also, to manage working with other students in the study group and to manage integrating this class into his other studies.  The timing during the day of the physical class will force him to get more creative with his time management. I'm going to take a positive spin on this when talking to ds.  

• Like 6

I would agree that talking to a professor is the way to go, but it doesn't necesarily have to be the professor teaching that class. Is there any professor there doing research that aligns with your son's interests?

Edited personal info

If your son stays in this class I think it could be a good " learning to navigate college" kind of class if nothing else.

(As far as his younger age, mine never talked about his and it was never an issue with other students or professors. Your son doesn't have to be secretive or anything, but it certainly doesn't have to be a main topic of conversation)

Edited by Butler
  • Like 3

Having taught at an elite and DW at both a Russian uni and a directional, I honestly don't see that significant of a difference in the preparation afforded an undergrad. The grad school will typically compensate as needed.

I would, of course, advise against a small school with limited offerings if the grad school objective is an elite.

The texts are largely comparable except at an elite (where they WILL differ). We compare those regularly in the course of work. The mathematical foundations simply haven't changed much recently.

I still think that the pool of possibilities to consider is larger than the approx. dozen schools on your elite list (I realize those were just examples).  I have no idea what the options are like in NZ, but if NZ lifestyle is important, I'd certainly look closely there and make sure it doesn't make sense before writing them off.  I also think there are some smaller schools that might work -- the professors may have mostly gotten their doctorates at elite schools, and they might have more time and focus on teaching rather than research.  You don't want a situation with two math profs, and I think it would be a big plus to be near a larger elite to take advantage of a class or so there, or to take a year and go somewhere else.  Besides keeping the NZ lifestyle or other issues in mind, it might be less expensive for their family.  We have lots of math majors in the family, and I've seen different routes work and not work; I think the particulars matter a lot.  Sure, I agree the mathematical foundations haven't changed that much recently.  But I think the culture of teaching is different at some schools vs. others, and that can change over time; I think some professors would be generous with helping a bright, energetic student like Ruth's, while some may view it as a burden.  I'm not sure, but it may be that some of the "non-elite" state flagship schools with honors colleges may be worth looking into as well.  While I don't have experience dealing with pure math graduates from those, I've been impressed with the education that some folks have received in quantitative areas.

In any case, this is probably a good opportunity to practice contacting the prof or graduate student, which will be a good skill regardless.

• Like 1

(((hugs)))

I can't add on the math front, but does your DS's school do research at all? He may well find that he fits in much better with the folks focusing on research and that, while the classes are largely trivial as an undergrad, research is where he finds his depth. This is what pretty much everyone who meets my DD has said that she'll face in college-that the undergraduate classes will likely be trivial for her and not terribly engaging, and while she's unlikely to have a meeting of the minds with a vast majority of students, no matter which program she goes to, if she can get into a lab and involved in research, she'll probably find enough depth of learning/knowledge and social connections with those who are researching to make it worth putting up with the tedium. And I've known some really, really awesome researchers who were at less competitive colleges because that was where the jobs were, especially right out of a doctorate or post-doc, and who are starving for the kinds of questions and ideas your son comes up with.

• Like 3