Menu

Questions about IEW

indigomama

I would like to start both my 7th grader and my 5th grader with IEW this year. They have done WWE 1-3, and CAP previously.

Will I need SWI B for the 7th grader and SWI A for the 5th grader? 

7th grader is a good writer and a great reader. 5th grader is average in both areas.

Please be aware that the SWI is not the full course and missing units. If memory serves, it is units 4,7, and 9. You might call IEW to clarify. It is less$ than the TWSS but if it is the first time using the program, you might want the full course.

What do you mean missing units? 

I do have the TWSS, but have not sat down yet this summer to watch it. I was going to watch that, but hopefully have my boys somewhat independent in writing this year, by having them watch and do the lessons from SWI. Will they be missing out on things?

What do you mean missing units? 

I do have the TWSS, but have not sat down yet this summer to watch it. I was going to watch that, but hopefully have my boys somewhat independent in writing this year, by having them watch and do the lessons from SWI. Will they be missing out on things?

The SWI courses are not designed to cover all nine units of the TWSS. If you follow IEW through high school you will get them all. It's just that the Scope and Sequence for SWI in particular will not cover them.

Keep in mind SWI is designed as a "first IEW" course for those who have not done IEW before.  So it makes sense that you will not be doing formal essay writing (Unit 9) in your first year with IEW.  After you finish SWI you can move on to the Student Writing Intensive Continuation Courses (SICC-A,B,C) or theme based products.  Over the years all the units will be covered. For example, we did SWI-A which did not cover the Writing with Pictures unit, but in SICC-A it is covered (also in theme based).

If you want to look at any of the Scope and Sequence pages for any product, they are on the website.  

I strongly recommend posting questions on the IEW Families Yahoo group. There are some really great moderators and you will get fantastic advice on there.  

• Like 1

The SWI courses are not designed to cover all nine units of the TWSS. If you follow IEW through high school you will get them all. It's just that the Scope and Sequence for SWI in particular will not cover them.

Keep in mind SWI is designed as a "first IEW" course for those who have not done IEW before.  So it makes sense that you will not be doing formal essay writing (Unit 9) in your first year with IEW.  After you finish SWI you can move on to the Student Writing Intensive Continuation Courses (SICC-A,B,C) or theme based products.  Over the years all the units will be covered. For example, we did SWI-A which did not cover the Writing with Pictures unit, but in SICC-A it is covered (also in theme based).

If you want to look at any of the Scope and Sequence pages for any product, they are on the website.  

I strongly recommend posting questions on the IEW Families Yahoo group. There are some really great moderators and you will get fantastic advice on there.  

Thank you! I will go check out the yahoo group. I have looked at the catalogues, but didn't realize exactly how it all worked. 

My 4th grader and 7th grader started SWI-B together a few weeks ago. They both work with the example text shown in the videos, but my 4th grader has been doing level A source paragraphs for extra practice (sometimes the level B source paragraphs look a little too challenging for him). They can be found here (direct link to pdf): http://iew.com/sites/default/files/page/fileattachment/SWI_Level-A_Reinforcement_Paragraphs.pdf

• Like 1