Menu

"Why Do You Trust Me So Much?"

TranquilMind

I have lost both parents long ago and I know exactly what you go through to hold the funerals and wrap up their financial affairs.

So, morbid as this sounds, it is an important conversation. I don't know why but this made me laugh. I'm telling teen son about how to get money out right away if anything ever happened to both of us, and where to find passwords to make everything work smoothly.

I told him about both the Power of Attorney for Health care and also the General one used to handle financial affairs.

He turns to me and says, "I can transfer money from your account? Why do you trust me so much? I'm not even going to let my wife know my passwords!"

What?? Isn't that the general idea? Are you not trustworthy (this one is exceedingly trustworthy)? Of course your wife will know!

Ha ha. Anyway, I thought it was funny.

Tell me about your conversations.

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 2

After dealing with some similar stuff, my kids know where to find all the written instructions. They don't want the details yet, because it is overwhelming to them, at their ages, to be laden with passwords, POA, etc. But when the conversation first arose -AFTER oldest child was of legal age - I could see a look on his face that showed he was honored by the trust and charge of such responsibility.

• Like 2

My oldest just nods sagely, like she's totally on board with being the guardian of her sisters and the "estate" should something happen to us.  Never mind that I still have to remind her to brush her teeth :/  

(yes, she'd be responsible with the money part, she's 3/4 scrooge McDuck)

• Like 3

I've had POA on my parent's bank accounts (as well as my own ATM card for them) since my 20s.  DS who's 9 knows my ATM pin number and has access to all my cards 24/7.  In our households, you don't earn trust.  You are trustworthy - period - until proven otherwise.  I'm assuming he will be fine with knowing what to do when I die.

Ha, I'm rewatching season 1 of Orange is the New Black and this exact point just came up on that show. (Between Nikki and Red).  The person who says "why would you trust me, be more careful!" is exactly the right person to trust.  While  the ones who only offer reassurances, you should be more worried.

When we were having Luna tested for genetic syndromes, Sagg was deeply concerned. At one point, he asked about our plans for long-term care, should she need it. 

I took a deep breath and told him that he will be her guardian. It's a heavy burden on his young shoulders. I asked if he was ok with that.

He was a bit shocked, but said, "Of COURSE, I'm going to take care of her!" His concern wasn't that he wouldn't do it, it was that I had PLANNED for him to do it. 

She's fine, btw, so it's moot.

• Like 1