Menu

share your best homeschool hacks!

I realized today that our page-a-day art calendar was one of the best homeschool hacks we've had. Sometimes, it's a dud, but at least once a week we have an interesting conversation related to the art featured. It's requires zero planning, we're always excited to see what's coming next, and the calendar pages have been fun for my kids to integrate into their artwork. 

So, as we're all preparing our next school years, share away! What easy, cheap, fun, or otherwise awesome hacks do you have up your sleeves?

(This is the calendar we have, I'm sure there are many others: https://www.amazon.com/Page-Day-Gallery-Calendar-2016/dp/0761182764/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk)

• Like 10

I realized today that our page-a-day art calendar was one of the best homeschool hacks we've had. Sometimes, it's a dud, but at least once a week we have an interesting conversation related to the art featured. It's requires zero planning, we're always excited to see what's coming next, and the calendar pages have been fun for my kids to integrate into their artwork.

So, as we're all preparing our next school years, share away! What easy, cheap, fun, or otherwise awesome hacks do you have up your sleeves?

(This is the calendar we have, I'm sure there are many others: https://www.amazon.com/Page-Day-Gallery-Calendar-2016/dp/0761182764/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk)

We love this too! It's been the best thing ever for art study. We discuss it every day, and the kids are always interested... we often end up Googlingmore info about the artist. Definitely more likely to happen than some book I have to open (though we do love A Child's Introduction to Art).

• Like 1

I love the calendar art idea! (We did calendar vocabulary for awhile...Not quite as interesting!)

We bought SQUILT a couple of years ago, and now we use the SQUILT writing sheet a couple of times a week when we listen to music, my daughter draws a picture while the music plays, then writes the instruments she hears, how the music makes her feel, etc. I think it really helps us to pay attention to and enjoy the music, rather than just treating it as background.

• Like 2

I love the calendar art idea! (We did calendar vocabulary for awhile...Not quite as interesting!)

We bought SQUILT a couple of years ago, and now we use the SQUILT writing sheet a couple of times a week when we listen to music, my daughter draws a picture while the music plays, then writes the instruments she hears, how the music makes her feel, etc. I think it really helps us to pay attention to and enjoy the music, rather than just treating it as background.

I like this idea too. :)  What did you think of SQUILT overall?  Was it worth the cost? 

Edited by Jess4879
  • Like 1

I like this idea too. :)  What did you think of SQUILT overall?  Was it worth the cost? 

We liked it! We did about one piece a week, only the classical and romantic eras, since those are my favorite. :) I was debating whether it was worth buying after I read the sample, I thought I could just use the technique and find my own links to teach the concepts and composers, but the specific links she chooses are well thought out, very age appropriate, and I liked the way it was organized. It's definitely given Anna an appreciation of classical music.

(It paired really well with The Story of the Orchestra.)

• Like 2

I don't know if this counts but we mounted these over my kids desks and the keep all their notebooks in them and they rock

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015NLYFZQ/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love these, too! They sell them at IKEA as well. I have two over my desk that hold all the teaching manuals, etc.that I use daily with the kids. Frees up lots of desk space for me.

• Like 2