Menu

VP online history

We have done VP online one other year, and this coming school year my youngest DS will be doing it again.  For cost reasons in between times, I taught the VP history.  (Plus, I really, really love history!)

The kids liked the online well enough, liked the independence of it, and retained the information well that way.  We didn't do any adding  to it the first go round, but I will probably do more this time because DS has a much greater interest in the time period we are going to be doing next.  I liked that the kids had quizzes and tests online so I could make sure they weren't just cruising through.  We bought it on sale this time around, and that makes it worth it.  

My sons used the self paced history courses.  They have never really enjoyed history (gasp!) so I was hoping this would go over well with them.  They did enjoy it, and tested very well.  We supplemented with books and the flash cards.   However, 4 years later, I'd say they really did not retain very much of it.  I probably will not use it for my daughter for that reason.

My ds has done it for 2 years, and will go on to Omnibus this year.  The second year was 1815- Present and he read almost all of the literature with it.  He enjoys it, and has learned a lot.  He often relates something he learned 2 years ago to something happening now.  He did not like the song, but did learn it, and all the cards.

DS used the self-paced lessons and loved it for Greeks and Romans and he still retains the vast majority of the material but we talked about the lessons, we incorporated all the books recommended and read those together and we also watched some documentaries together.  He did not like the Middle Ages version so we stopped at that point but honestly I think it was more to do with other issues going on at the time and not VP itself..