Menu

Switching to R&S Math 6 after finishing CLE 5?

KeriJ

Dd has finished CLE 5, and we are thinking of starting R&S 6 for next year.  Has anyone made this switch? Is there anything I should be aware of?

I have not made the switch that you're making, but I did switch my ds into R&S 6 this year as a 7th grader.  I would make sure to take things a little slow at first to give the student time to get used to the new format.  I would think that coming from CLE there would be no problem.

• Like 1

Dd has finished CLE 5, and we are thinking of starting R&S 6 for next year. Has anyone made this switch? Is there anything I should be aware of?

We did just this. We are about 25 lessons into R&S 6. At first, I felt like they weren't covering enough. It seems so "simple." Multiplication, division, word problems, Roman numerals, etc..... with cle, it was more broad. But wow! This is deeply solidifying math for her. Her attitude has changed even in a couple of months. She feels confident. She gets it. It's helping so much. But......I think following the teaching manual is the key, at least for us. It has great review! Great tips. Great drills. And it holds your hand as a teacher completely. I really wish I had started at the beginning with R&S for this child. We also are using 3 and 1 for my other daughters.

I couldn't be more pleased. I believe this math will greatly prepare her for prealgebra and algebra because as Cheryl Lowe (memoria press/highlands Latin school) says - it's giving her the ability to do this reflexively - automatically. So when things get hard later on, she is very solid on basic arithmetic. It's also showing me some math tricks I had no idea about! My husband and I have been laughing at how much easier things would have been for us if we had known some of these "shortcuts." So the grown ups are getting better at math too! :)

• Like 3

We did just this. We are about 25 lessons into R&S 6. At first, I felt like they weren't covering enough. It seems so "simple." Multiplication, division, word problems, Roman numerals, etc..... with cle, it was more broad. But wow! This is deeply solidifying math for her. Her attitude has changed even in a couple of months. She feels confident. She gets it. It's helping so much. But......I think following the teaching manual is the key, at least for us. It has great review! Great tips. Great drills. And it holds your hand as a teacher completely. I really wish I had started at the beginning with R&S for this child. We also are using 3 and 1 for my other daughters.

I couldn't be more pleased. I believe this math will greatly prepare her for prealgebra and algebra because as Cheryl Lowe (memoria press/highlands Latin school) says - it's giving her the ability to do this reflexively - automatically. So when things get hard later on, she is very solid on basic arithmetic. It's also showing me some math tricks I had no idea about! My husband and I have been laughing at how much easier things would have been for us if we had known some of these "shortcuts." So the grown ups are getting better at math too! :)

Thank you. This is helpful.

I'm so glad to hear this!  We also made the switch from CLE 5 to R&S 6.  We are only a couple lessons in.  My dd told me it's too easy, that she did these types of problems in 3rd grade.  I reminded her that it's set up differently than CLE and she will only focus on one thing at a time.  I'm really hoping it will deeply solidify math for her, as well.  She understood and knew how to do the math in CLE, but she consistently got many problems wrong in assignments and tests.  I'm talking 10-15 daily. I think, for her, the spiral approach threw too many different concepts at her each day to the point of overload.  She was getting so discouraged at the amount of problems she was missing, I'm hoping her love of math will return with R&S.