Menu

Dolciani/Brown Algebra 2 vs Foerster's Algebra 2

I have both. I had planned to use Foerster's Algebra 2. (it is the one with trigonometry, the same one sold by Kolbe) and a lot of people use Foester's, so I feel like I should use it. I feel like it is hard to tell which book would be preferable until one actually uses the book. I do not have a TM for the Dolciani book and the Dolciani book is a 1997 edition which does not seem to have favor here as far as I can tell. But it LOOKS a lot like Jurgenson's, which we ended up loving. 

I feel like we should just stay the course and do Foerster's since that was the original plan. But can anyone compare these two books? I would really appreciate it! It is Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method Book 2, 1997 edition or Foerster's Algebra 2 and Trigonometry. 

edited to add: I like the look of the Dolciani book a little better, but it looks like the TM is costly. So I would still love opinion.

Edited by Janeway

Maybe you could use both especially if a topic is unclear in one versus the other with examples etc. It is good to have exposure to multiple texts.

Foerster problem sets are top notch so I would use those.

I used the Foerster text for our Algebra 2 after-school program summer 2015 (DS used Holt during the B&M school year).

I have no personal knowledge of either yet, but both are solid texts according to past forum threads.

Foersters is known for their strong word problems and is used in online classes by Veritas Press (as an option offered if you don't want Saxon), Kolbe, and Homeschool Connections non-honors Algebra 2 class. (Their honors Alg 2 uses Holt-McDougal-Larson.) Math without Borders produces videos to go along with Foersters Algebra 2 book. So, there are a lot of "helps" available. [When scanning old threads, found that Liberty Tutorials also have a Alg 2 class that uses this book.]

Dolciani is a strong overall text used by Wilson Hill for their Alg 2 online class. It has a solid following in the Hive. You will find many posts of praise for it, especially the older (pre 1970s) editions.

If I have time later, I'll post some threads from the past that I've read for both books. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Some people like one more than the other.

Here's what one person said when comparing the two:

On some points their explanations are almost identical (I've lined them up, textbook to textbook). And sometimes the explanation in Foerster is actually BETTER. Foerster has a lot more application (something many engineering people will find enjoyable) and Dolciani has a lot more theory (C level problems that are solved via conceptual understanding, set theory, emphasis on definitions, etc.).

Edited to add some threads:

Here's a thread comparing Foerster/Dolciani/Lial/Jacobs Texts?

Dolciani Algebra rationale (kinda about why do people choose Dolciani)

What did you not like about Foerster?

Foerster's Alg 2/Trig (some positives & some negatives)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

IMO you have the two of the best texts around for this level, and either will probably work great.  As mentioned above, using one and then using the other for alternative explanations or problems is probably the best.  Both texts are strong on the math and seem to develop good of problem-solving skills.  They're probably both slightly above the average level of US math texts (although US texts tend to be pretty low). I have a similar edition of Brown and Dolciani from the mid-1990s, and it's a modern text in a good sense of the word; I can't compare clarity of presentation across the various Dolciani editions, as I haven't seen them all myself and didn't learn using them, but the 1990s Dolciani/Brown texts look good to me.  On the other hand, if you need more than the select answers in the back of the Dolciani/Brown book, and the Teacher's Edition is too expensive, then perhaps Foerster's the way to go.  It's solid and lots of people have had great experiences with it.

• Like 1