Menu

What if I wanted to do Latin...

busymama7

But can't seem to fit in on more subject. We have 9 kids but two are graduated. The youngest is almost 2 so that actually is a good place to be :). I'm pondering finally really doing Latin but it is so hard to get everything done as it is. All of my current boy students are dyslexic and one of my daughters is quite behind in math to the point that I am considering that it is actually a disability.

We have done the flash cards only from English from the roots up and my now 11th grader did one year of Latina Christiana with a coop at about age 11 or 12. Other than that, nothing.

I would mainly be thinking for my 9th and 6th graders. My 11th grader will be focusing on other things and my 1st and 3rd are still learning to read so not really for them yet. I would love something that was written to the student, took 20-30 mins at most 2 times a week, preferably a workbook. Is there such a thing? Or if I do it am I committing to an hour a day of intense work?

I would also be ok following a simple plan for everyone in morning time. That is how we have done the EFTRU cards. We could handle 5-10 min daily with everyone.

How about Minimus? As a method for beginners, I find it better than all the many Latin manuals and workbooks I used myself over the years. There is no separate workbook but the pupil's book has written exercices to copy out at the end of each chapter. It's supposed to be geared towards kids 7-10 and they can read the lessons on their own but it can also work for older beginners, especially ones who already have a lot on their academic plates and can't commit to hours of extra work every day. Or for busy moms who want to refresh their own Latin. (I admit that I enjoy reading it myself.) There is a bunch of free enrichment material on the author's website--short comic strips in Latin and such. I found the pupil's book at a very reasonable price and one book for all the kids is enough since it's not consumable. I haven't bought the instructor's manual or audio CD yet so I don't know if they're useful or not. 

• Like 1

:bigear:  because, although I am teaching considerably fewer students than OP, I too would like to add in Latin.  I too feel like one more subject added to an already-full life might break the camel's back (my sanity)!  

I've only brought up the possibility of teaching Latin with one person IRL who actually uses it regularly.  His opinion was that exposure to Latin--any amount of exposure--would be good.  If my children decided to pursue something later down the line in which Latin would benefit them, they could study it more in-depth then.  

I liked this idea.  I had previously been looking at it with the goal of "mastery" and that's a bit overwhelming--to big of an undertaking.  Considering "exposure" vs. "mastery" helps me see this as a reachable possibility.  

So...now keeping my ears open for options.  My DC are young, so I'm thinking something more audio/video vs. workbook.  OP, I like your idea of 20-30 minutes x2 each week.  When I was looking at it as "mastery" as the goal, I was fearing the daily time commitment that a language would normally take.  I think we could do "exposure" at 2x/week. 

I'm planning to do some of Song School Latin with my 8 and 5 year olds as part of morning time, but not have them do the workbook. I haven't figured out exactly how this will work yet, but I already have the CD from my older child and I bought the flash card set for us to play games etc.

For 9th and 6th graders, what about Visual Latin DVD's?

Good suggestions thank you. I will be looking over them closely as I finish planning for the year.

I like the idea of concentrating on exposure. That's pretty much what I did when going through the EFTRU cards.

As I have read the responses and thought about it, I have realized that I have not committed to Latin as being a non negotiable. I mean I read aloud daily and we do math and language lessons, you know? I think I need to study up on the value of it so that I am more committed.

Latin could also be taught as part of grammar. English grammar and Latin have much overlap. Latin also enhances science and music too. I have heard of a curriculum called the Latin Road to English.  

http://thelatinroad.com/latinroad/

You might consider redoing Memoria's Latina Christiana with both of your students. You could add in the music course, the Latina Angelica.  First Form is also well structured. If your older student thinks it is too slow, you could just do Latina Christiana 1 and 2. Each book counts as 1/2 credit. Memoria does sell DVD video classes if you want to let your students study on their own under your guidance. Then they would get the class review and repetition. I have never tried this, but I know of other people who did well with the DVD classes.Then, your students would be prepared to move into Henle.  I like Latin from Memoria Press because it is logical. Ecclesiastical Latin is a little easier to follow than classical Latin. It will take more than 30 minutes 2 times per week.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/latin/