Menu

Latin for 6th grader who may do CC Challenge A next year. And 4th grader.

staceyobu

We've done a crap job on Latin. I am trying to make a bigger priority of it this next year.

Oldest has done Prima Latina and that is all. She *might* do Challenge A her 7th grade year and would be using Henle. I know I've seen a one year overview of Latin mentioned on this forum. Is there something I could do with her next year to prepare her for Henle?

Also, any recommendations for a wiggly 4th grade boy for Latin?

I'm very fond of Getting Started with Latin.  Very solid and inexpensive. I worked through it myself and then went on and did Helne Books 1 and 2.

But frankly if she's strong in grammar, doing Latin before then really isn't a must. We were hit-or-miss, and both of mine really didn't do consistent, formal Latin until Challenge A. Both went on to multiple gold medals on the National Latin exam. One did through Latin 4 in high school, and the other through AP Latin with a "5."

Everyone told me stories about Challenge A being so hard, but neither of mine found it to be unreasonable.

• Like 1

I'm very fond of Getting Started with Latin.  Very solid and inexpensive. I worked through it myself and then went on and did Helne Books 1 and 2.

But frankly if she's strong in grammar, doing Latin before then really isn't a must. We were hit-or-miss, and both of mine really didn't do consistent, formal Latin until Challenge A. Both went on to multiple gold medals on the National Latin exam. One did through Latin 4 in high school, and the other through AP Latin with a "5."

Everyone told me stories about Challenge A being so hard, but neither of mine found it to be unreasonable.

Good to hear.

I think one thing to consider is to start memorizing declension endings and conjugation endings.  The kids who have memorized noun endings (from Foundations Cycle 1) and Present tense verb endings (Cycle 2) have a bit of a leg up in Henle in Challenge A.  You can certainly wait and memorize when you get to A, but it helps to already have those things in place.  Otherwise, I agree with G5052 that a strong foundation in grammar is as (or more) important than previous Latin study.  I also think GSWL is a great way to introduce Latin.  

• Like 1

I think one thing to consider is to start memorizing declension endings and conjugation endings.  The kids who have memorized noun endings (from Foundations Cycle 1) and Present tense verb endings (Cycle 2) have a bit of a leg up in Henle in Challenge A.  You can certainly wait and memorize when you get to A, but it helps to already have those things in place.  Otherwise, I agree with G5052 that a strong foundation in grammar is as (or more) important than previous Latin study.  I also think GSWL is a great way to introduce Latin.  

This (the bolded) is what I was thinking. Depending on your child, you might be able to accomplish that through the Dowling Method stages 1 and 2.