Menu

Pumpkin Pie Playdough

I made this playdough for my kids this week and it has been a huge hit. It smells soooo good, you can't help but want to play with it. This recipe makes a huge batch which is great for those families with several kids who like playdough.

5 1/2 Cups Flour

2 Cups Salt

8 teaspoons Cream of Tartar

3/4 Cup oil

1 Container (1 1/2 ounces) Pumpkin Pie spice (I used one of those little orange tins, I forget the brand)

Orange food colouring(2 parts yellow, 1 part red)...I don't use food colouring in this house, only wilton colour pastes, in this case I used copper and the colour of the playdough looked like pumpkin pie exactly

4 Cups Water

Mix all the ingredients together. Cook and stir over medium heat until all lumps disappear. Knead the dough on a floured surface until it is smooth and no longer sticky.

I don't use food colouring in this house, only wilton colour pastes, in this case I used copper and the colour of the playdough looked like pumpkin pie exactly[/color]

What is a "wilton color paste"? [Edit: Instead of being super-lazy, I googled it (still kinda lazy :tongue_smilie:) and found it is "cake-frosting" colors.

So where go you get this? Would any regular supermarket carry this, or is this a "specialty item?

Thank you BTW, this sounds like a fun playdough for the season.

Bill (who has never made playdough).

What is a "wilton color paste"? [Edit: Instead of being super-lazy, I googled it (still kinda lazy :tongue_smilie:) and found it is "cake-frosting" colors.

So where go you get this? Would any regular supermarket carry this, or is this a "specialty item?

Thank you BTW, this sounds like a fun playdough for the season.

Bill (who has never made playdough).

I buy it at Micheals. I decorate cakes as a hobby so I have a large supply of colours avail so I never buy food colouring anymore.

I made this playdough for my kids this week and it has been a huge hit. It smells soooo good, you can't help but want to play with it. This recipe makes a huge batch which is great for those families with several kids who like playdough.

5 1/2 Cups Flour

2 Cups Salt

8 teaspoons Cream of Tartar

3/4 Cup oil

1 Container (1 1/2 ounces) Pumpkin Pie spice (I used one of those little orange tins, I forget the brand)

Orange food colouring(2 parts yellow, 1 part red)...I don't use food colouring in this house, only wilton colour pastes, in this case I used copper and the colour of the playdough looked like pumpkin pie exactly

4 Cups Water

Mix all the ingredients together. Cook and stir over medium heat until all lumps disappear. Knead the dough on a floured surface until it is smooth and no longer sticky.

Thank you for this! My kids will love it.