Menu

My stepdad and mom's crazy idea.

Night Elf

I guess we change by necessity but even then it's hard to break old habits. My stepdad is 78 and is obese. He had a bad accident in March 2015 and lost 26 lbs. in a month of being in a hospital and rehab center. They had him on an 1800 calorie diet. When he got home, my mom was so pleased he had lost some of his weight and was hoping he would continue. But she didn't keep him on the 1800 calorie diet, she gave him more food to eat because she said he was hungry all the time. Also, he's diabetic. He's on numerous medications for cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar. And yet he eats candy and ice cream like he's a kid. He's decided the medications keep him in check so he can do whatever he wants. I've tried telling my mom she can't change him especially since she talks about helping him lose weight in one breath and then in the next talks about he needs to eat twice what she eats because he's hungry. He'll eat anything she fixes but he works and my mom doesn't know what he eats at work. He works at a baseball stadium and doing events like concerts so he's around lots of snacks.

Anyway, so now she's looking into some diet pill that she says celebrities use to lose weight. Apparently John Goodman lost about 100 lbs. using them. She's certain if my stepdad takes them he'll lose lots of weight. She says they increase your metabolism. Well, since he sees a cardiologist and is on lots of medication, I just don't see this as a good idea. I don't know what to tell her though. I'm worried she'll decide to try it. She said she talked to the doctor about it who advised against it because he said the diet pill does the opposite of what his medications are doing. But she's still thinking about having him try it. This doesn't sound like a good idea! I hope she decides against it.

This may be drastic and rude and forgive me as I am not trying to offend. If I was in that situation I would be very tempted to ask my mom if she has enough to live comfortably after her husband has passed away since what she is suggesting will probably speed up the possibility of incapacitation and/or death. Sometimes directness and bluntness are effective. Just a thought.

This may be drastic and rude and forgive me as I am not trying to offend. If I was in that situation I would be very tempted to ask my mom if she has enough to live comfortably after her husband has passed away since what she is suggesting will probably speed up the possibility of incapacitation and/or death. Sometimes directness and bluntness are effective. Just a thought.

I actually just called her and basically told her the same thing. She said she agreed and wouldn't do it and she was afraid to take it herself too. So I'm hoping she's serious. I explained to her how serious it was.

• Like 1