Menu

History choice help!

jens2sons

Please help me, I need some help deciding on a chronological history program. I'm not too fond of SOTW. I am really torn between MOH and Project Passport for the Middle Ages. I want a curriculum that has a Christian point of view but is balanced. I'd appreciate your thoughts. My son is a kinesthetic/auditory soon to be 4th grader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you mean by "balanced" but we loved MOH! She was very even-handed with the Catholic/Protestant issue during the medieval period, if that is what you're referring to. She is also very much YEC, but that would come into play more with ancients than with medieval.

We loved SOTW though too, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "balanced" but we loved MOH! She was very even-handed with the Catholic/Protestant issue during the medieval period, if that is what you're referring to. She is also very much YEC, but that would come into play more with ancients than with medieval.

We loved SOTW though too, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

Balanced meaning that it has both Catholic/Protestant issues presented.  I'm looking for a program that integrates church history in to the curriculum because without it, part of history is missing especially in the middle ages to reformation.  I know that MOH2 does this, but as I looked through SOTW2, I really didn't see much of that.  It seems to try to steer away from bringing up those topics more so than MOH.  The hang up for me with MOH is the age range it is meant for.  Book 1 is supposed to be for 4th graders and Book 2 is for 5th grade and so on.  My son is 4th grade age but we already completed Ancients so I'm wondering if moving in to book 2 will be pushing him too much.  He's not a strong reader but is an excellent listener.  I ordered Project Passport: The Middle Ages, but I'm kind of starting to get nervous about it because of so much hands on work (what was I thinking?) and the reading lists don't say what age range they are for like MOH does.  Also, once I get done with the MOH series, what do I move to next?  Diana Waring?  I know that we could go through MOH a second round, but wouldn't my son wonder why we are doing the same books over again?  

SaveSave

Not sure if this will help, but I stumbled across these pdfs a while ago. They are Catholic texts to add in to the gaps in the SOTW for books 2 and 3.

Vol 2: http://www.sevenkids.net/files/sotw-ii.pdf

Vol 3: http://www.sevenkids.net/files/story-of-the-world-iii-1.pdf

Vol 4: I remember reading somewhere that the person who made these lists said that SOTW Vol 4 was problematic, Catholic history-wise, and to choose something else. I'm still looking for the link...

Balanced meaning that it has both Catholic/Protestant issues presented. I'm looking for a program that integrates church history in to the curriculum because without it, part of history is missing especially in the middle ages to reformation. I know that MOH2 does this, but as I looked through SOTW2, I really didn't see much of that. It seems to try to steer away from bringing up those topics more so than MOH. The hang up for me with MOH is the age range it is meant for. Book 1 is supposed to be for 4th graders and Book 2 is for 5th grade and so on. My son is 4th grade age but we already completed Ancients so I'm wondering if moving in to book 2 will be pushing him too much. He's not a strong reader but is an excellent listener. I ordered Project Passport: The Middle Ages, but I'm kind of starting to get nervous about it because of so much hands on work (what was I thinking?) and the reading lists don't say what age range they are for like MOH does. Also, once I get done with the MOH series, what do I move to next? Diana Waring? I know that we could go through MOH a second round, but wouldn't my son wonder why we are doing the same books over again?

Save

Save

I used it with a 2nd grader, a 6th grader, an 8th grader, and a 10th grader last year. I added in some supplementary reading for the older ones. My 2nd grader didn't necessarily grasp absolutely every nuance of all the stories, but she remembers a pleasantly surprisingly large amount of info from last year.

I'm not Catholic anymore, but I was for many years and I still hold a special place in my heart for the Catholic church, and I thought it dealt with church history very respectfully.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The hang up for me with MOH is the age range it is meant for.  Book 1 is supposed to be for 4th graders and Book 2 is for 5th grade and so on.  My son is 4th grade age but we already completed Ancients so I'm wondering if moving in to book 2 will be pushing him too much.  He's not a strong reader but is an excellent listener.  I ordered Project Passport: The Middle Ages, but I'm kind of starting to get nervous about it because of so much hands on work (what was I thinking?) and the reading lists don't say what age range they are for like MOH does.  Also, once I get done with the MOH series, what do I move to next?  Diana Waring?  I know that we could go through MOH a second round, but wouldn't my son wonder why we are doing the same books over again? 

Read some of the samples online, but I wouldn't worry at all about doing MOH 2 with a 4th grader. 

• Like 2

Not sure if this will help, but I stumbled across these pdfs a while ago. They are Catholic texts to add in to the gaps in the SOTW for books 2 and 3.

Vol 2: http://www.sevenkids.net/files/sotw-ii.pdf

Vol 3: http://www.sevenkids.net/files/story-of-the-world-iii-1.pdf

Vol 4: I remember reading somewhere that the person who made these lists said that SOTW Vol 4 was problematic, Catholic history-wise, and to choose something else. I'm still looking for the link...

Thank you for your time putting this list together however I'm not looking for Catholic resources specifically.  I'm actually Protestant but the way I was taught about the catholics as I was growing was not what I would teach my children.  This is why I want a book that takes a balanced position.  After my husband and I took the course in church history in Bible college, my understanding of the Catholic faith and where we came from as Protestants gave me a whole new respect for them.  My husband and I also became very good friends with a strong catholic family since then and we are so glad that we took church history before we met them because we may have passed on that relationship due to common misunderstandings between Protestant and Catholics.  Had we taken the common Protestant attitude toward Catholics, we would have missed out on God blessing us with wonderful Christian family friends.  Therefore I want to present my children with information from both sides of that history, for if it weren't for the Catholic church, we Protestants wouldn't be here.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak to how Catholicism or Protestantism is handled in the later books, but the Guerber books (newly edited and revised by Christine Miller of Nothing New Press) are wonderful so far.  We enjoyed The Story of the Ancient World and I am about to read The Story of the Greeks this year.  Memoria Press uses The Story of the Thirteen Colonies in their 7th grade curriculum, and they have many happy Protestant and Catholic users.