Menu

Elective science questions?

I've seen elective science courses listed in other threads such as:

earth science, meteorology, marine biology, anatomy and physiology, zoology, botany, environmental, forensic, etc.

What I can't find is what courses are good and where to buy them from.

Has anyone used some interesting high school level courses that you can recommend?

I don't want to outsource - I want something to buy that he can do at home.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Apologia has Marine Biology and A&P - I think that is why they are often on the list. I don't think there are as many pre-packed elective science courses. Oak Meadow has Environmental Science. When we did elective sciences: Forensic Science, A&P, Nutrition, Athletic Training, I generally put them together myself (I used Apologia for A&P). If you search for any of those elective sciences (do an advanced search, search for the name in the thread title only on the high school board) and you will find out what resources people used for that specific course. There isn't just a source of elective science courses... Hmm maybe I should work on that? I've always wanted to write Science curriculum for homeschoolers.

• Like 1

GA Virtual has Forensic Science, Oceanography, Astronomy, Geology, etc. (these courses are mostly done).

Study.com (NOT a full course, but you could easily add a textbook, and perhaps figure out some labs/projects?) has a plethora of different things, also places like MIT open courseware, and EDX and others have additional things you can choose from.

Some will also pair a good textbook with TGC lectures or other lecture sources, add projects/papers/labs to create a course nearly from scratch.

For Equine Science, we used Equine Science by Rick Parker.  Dd also rode at a local ranch

For Genetics we used Genetics: Analysis and Principles by Brooker

For Marine Biology we used Marine Biology by Castro

Forenis Science was online but I can't remember the website....I'll ask Dd if she remembers

Thank you so much for the answers!  I am VERY NEW to putting together my own course - but I am starting to research on here what others have done.  (Thank you Debbie for suggesting that).

I am sure I will have more questions as I continue researching and very much appreciate all of the help so far.

Thank you!

Lynn

I used Teaching Company for Meteorology. I watched the videos with my son and we talked about it (I did my ironing while I watched!). He also worked through a college level textbook - I got one that had a workbook with answers so I could grade it. 

For Epidemiology my other son used this course from the CDC - http://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsepd/ss1978/

There are also courses on just about every topic on Coursera - you may need to do more than one to be able to give credit as some are only 4 or 5 weeks. Also look at edX - they now have quite a large number of options and some of their classes are specifically for high school. My kids had no problem doing college level ones though.