Menu

Transcript Clarification Please

I just finished reading some threads on this and what I came away with was:

Don't use + or -.

Put your grading scale on the transcript:  A = 90 - 100%;  B = 89 - 90% etc.

The GPA should be noted too:  A = 4.0  A (H) = 4.5,  B = 3.0  B (H) = 3.5

Is this correct?  Do I just tally up all the GPA points for a cumulative GPA?  What do you do about 1/2 credits?  I didn't see either of those things addressed in the threads I read but I apologize if it has all been explained before.)

PS - We have classical guitar as an elective one year.  I made that just pass / fail.  Is that ok?  Do I just leave that off of the GPA?  Should I assign a grade?  (Though I don't really know how since he worked on a piece until he had it down and then went on to the next piece.)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I don't think there are any rules. I didn't use + or - but in a thread on the topic I thought it was pretty equally divided.

I didn't put my grading scale on the transcript and was never asked for it.

I used a 4.0=A 3.0=B 2.0=C to calculate GPA. (multiply grade points by the number of credits for the class .5 or 1, add up all the classes, then divide the total number of point by the total number of credits to get GPA on a 4.0 scale). I used this scale on all transcripts, but never listed it. I also did a weighted GPA on one of ds's transcripts (5.0 for college level work DE, AP etc) only because the school specified they wanted it for scholarship awards. If you weight your GPA (giving additional points for honors) you should list both the weighted and unweighted GPA. My understanding is that most colleges disregard the weighted GPA.

• Like 1

I've heard that there are schools who will convert P/F grades to a letter grade and incorporate in the GPA--and that they can say it's a "C," which would totally mess with things. I'd assign a letter grade if at all possible. 

To figure scores:

A = 4

B = 3

C = 2

Multiply by the credits taken--so, for example:

1-A = 1 X 4 = 4 points

1-B = 1 X 3 = 3 points

1-C = 1 X 2 = 2 points

.5-A = .5 X 4 = 2 points

.5-B = .5 X 3 = 1.5 points

.5-C = .5 X 2 = 1 point

Add up all the points and divide by the total number of credits to get a gpa. If your student has 6 credits and all grades were A's, the total points would be 24, divided by 6 = 4.0

If your student has 6.5 credits, some A's and some B's and the total points were something like 22.5--divide by 6.5 credits and the gpa would be 3.46--and so on.

HTH some!

• Like 2