Menu

An update on my daughter, and I'll be here next year with my (last!) son.......

Joanne

My DD completed her freshman year. Anatomy and Physiology kicked her butt. She needs to maintain a B or better average in her nursing courses so she may have to take it again (she passed). But she got A's in everything else and was accepted into the nursing school. She'll start that her Junior year. She joined a living and learning group; it was perfect for her to have an instant peer group. She eventually ventured beyond that, but it was safe and cozy for the start. She's back on meds for her arthritis, and she's taking some charge and advocacy of that now.

She's in South Korea with her learning and living group. It was part of her tuition last year. They are there for 3 weeks, staying at a university and taking classes. It doesn't hurt that her boyfriend is part of the group. ;)

My son - my baby - will be a Senior next year. I have just had him evaluated by a Psychologist because his ACT scores were not consistent with his earlier standardized test scores. It turns out he has generalized anxiety disorder (I knew that) and OCD (I suspected, but wasn't sure if the symptoms were clinically significant "enough".) I will be asking for ACT accommodations for the Sept test. In addition, I hope to get him some ACT tutoring starting later July.

He's building a list of colleges and so we'll go through it again.

• Like 19

YAY for dd!!! And just so you know, you need to be a tiger about the accommodations for the ACT. Seriously, they were absolutely AWFUL to my son, and then when we finally got them approved, the proctors reniged on them. It was a very bad experience.

But with the SAT, I had no issues with the collegeboard, which LOL is not the norm for me as normally it is the collegeboard that has terrible customer service and policies, and the proctors at the testing site were just WONDERFUL to all of the kids and in particular the ones with accommodations.

Just wanted to warn you that you may need to be a tiger mom, eat them alive, mamma in order to get what your son needs.

I hope it goes well for you, and glad to know you'll be around one more time with us.